Alabama

25 Things You'll Learn When You Attend A College In Alabama

When I moved here from Florida, I had no idea what was coming.

111
Taylor Cust

After being home from college for about a week now, I realize how much Alabama has become a part of me. Going to a college in Alabama really turned me into a real Alabamian.

When I moved to that small, college town 4 months ago, I never thought I would miss it as much as I do, now that I'm away from it. I miss so much of what Troy has given me over these past few months. People always laugh at me or look at me sideways when I call this little blip on the map home so passionately, but what can I say, it's become more than I imagined it would.

Naturally, being that I live in Alabama I have learned a lot of new things about myself, life, and just Alabama as a place from my perspective and personal experiences. SO, here's what I've learned while living in Alabama.

1. People in Alabama are so nice

It's honestly rare to come across a rude person.

2. They're always down for a good time

And they seem to have everlasting energy.

3. Next to athletes, fraternities and sororities are legends on campus

And I wasn't expecting that to be a thing.

4. You meet so many people 

And you'll become close with a large portion of them.

5. 3 days feels like a week

Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes seem terrible...

6. You can easily find a ride with someone

Everyone is so willing to give rides to people, even if you just met.

7. You will learn certain dances by heart

LEARN THE BUNNY HOP NOW!

8. Learn the slang

Find someone who can help translate because you'll definitely need it.

9. I swear no one gets tired

Like, do these people sleep? I think not...

10. Everyone knows everyone

You will find SOMEONE you know EVERYWHERE you go.

11. "Touch tight"

You'll need to know that it means get so close to the people around you that you could give them a wet willy.

12. Weird things happen on bus rides

But it's fun nonetheless.

13. Even if you think you're not mad, you probably are

They're nice, but boy can they get angry.

14. Embrace the nicknames

Because they aren't going away.

15. You always have to get a shirt

If you know, you know.

16. Always wear the pants

Just do it.

17. Alabamians don't celebrate Christopher Columbus

He doesn't deserve all the credit.

18. Always make friends with the monsters

Always.

19. Don't snitch

Because you'll get stitches.

20. Lee Jones is an angel by all means

And everybody agrees.

21. Rally, baby, rally. 

Rally.

22. People don't ask to come over

They just come over

23. Small naps are KEY

Trust me, you'll need it.

24. There are no friends in Uno

It's the most heated thing you'll ever do.

25. Having money on campus is a real flex

Because we don't have money to spend anywhere else so...

Regardless of how comical this list seems, this is my reality. This is how the Alabamians live, and I wouldn't have it any other way.