I Asked 10 People What Their New Year’s Resolution Is

Hopefully, they last more than a week.

53
Unsplash

New Year’s resolutions. Sounds good in theory, but never really works. At the beginning of each year, everyone makes a list of things they’re going to do differently or how they’re going to improve themselves. “New year, new me.” And how long do most people keep them up? For me, it’s usually a few months maximum. Ultimately, change is hard.

I asked 10 people what their main New Year’s resolution is and how long they think they will stick to it.

1. “I need to stop drinking so much. I want that ripped summer bod. I’m going to try to stick to it, but I am just going to set it and hope for the best.”

2. “I want to prioritize a healthier lifestyle, ya feel me? No more staying out till 4 AM every weekend and sleeping with my makeup. It’ll probably last a week. Maybe more. Like a month max. I don’t know, man. I suck at this.”

3. “Be nicer. I need to gossip less, be less judgmental, and less bitter. I hope it goes well.”

4. “Go to the gym as much as possible. I feel so good when I work out during break, so I need to do that in school too. It’ll make me feel better about all those midnight snacking I do. I hope it lasts at least a quarter.”

5. “I want to make more friends and more of a diverse group. I need to put myself out there and really approach people with a smile and hope for the best.”

6. “I need to get a summer internship. It better be successful. And spend less money.”

7. “I want to be more confident about myself. I can’t keep putting myself down and thinking that I’m not good enough for something, or someone. Confidence goes a long way and it sets a good first impression. Even if you don’t know shit, you can just be confident and pretend you know it and you’ll be good. I’m tired of being shy and expecting everything and everyone to come to me.”

8. “I want to break guys’ hearts. I need to be that hot and amazing, where I have the power to do that. But also treat the genuine guys with respect and kindness. But break the assholes’ hearts because they don’t deserve me. I better be breaking hearts all year long.”

9. “I want to lose weight. Not just to impress other people, but to be healthy and feel good about my body. It’s really hard and it seems like it’s my resolution every single year, but I need it to happen this year. I’m almost 21 and I can’t keep putting it off. So I guess I need to stop procrastinating too.”

10. “I need to ask him out. He’s graduating soon and he might even be studying abroad next quarter. Even if he says no, it’s not the worst. He’ll graduate and go back wherever and nobody will have to know. I first need to talk to him more to even see if he’s single, but by the end of the school year, the question better be popped.”