How And Where I Brainstorm My Article Topics

It doesn’t require voodoo magic.

67

This week, I am completely idealess. Again. As I racked my brain for a substantial idea, I thought, why not write about how I write these articles? As a result, I decided to take part in some self-reflection, which is a rare occurrence, and thought about how I wrote my previous articles, only to find that there is no real system or process. Well, that’s helpful, isn’t it? However, I did come to the realization that the way I come up with my article topic tends to be fairly unconventional. So besides free writing, here are some of the other ways I come up with my article topics. Maybe you’ll find my methods helpful. Maybe you won’t.

In the Shower

Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know why, but I tend to get my best ideas while in the shower. Perhaps there is something about massaging your scalp while shampooing that really gets the cranium going, but most of my best essay titles, article topics and other things that may require levels of creativity I don’t naturally have can often time be sourced from some random late-night shower. Regardless as to why it may work, all that really matters is that it does work, at least for me. I know it’s weird, but next time you find yourself completely uninspired, try taking a shower.

While Reading Other Articles

I am not saying that you should rip-off someone else’s idea or anything like that. Seriously, don’t do that. It’s just messed up. But sometimes, an idea will hit me while I am reading other articles. I may have an opposing argument or thought to what I am reading or come up with alternative approaches to the subject matter. Either way, I am taking what I am reading and reinventing it into something original.

Time

I am one of those writers who can crank out a five-page essay in two hours if, emphasis on if, I am in the mood to write. On occasion, I will literally feel as if I had been struck by lightning, but not really. It’s more like a surge of energy that flows through my body as an idea consumes my entire mind. And somehow, this idea tends to come completely formulated and well organized which means all I now have to do is get it out of my mind and into the physical world. While some might see this as a gift, it is also a curse. When I have an idea in mind, all is okay in the world. However, when I am completely brain dead, I have an extremely difficult time getting words down on paper. Honestly, experiencing difficultly might even be an understatement. Because in actuality, until I experience this bizarre epiphany, I push off writing until the very last minute, which is dangerous. Don’t do that.

So yes, sometimes, I don’t do anything but just wait for time to pass, hoping that sooner than later, I will be possessed by an idea and somehow find myself typing at speeds of light. Thinking about it now, maybe there is some voodoo magic involved.