Ariana's 'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' Is Actually Toxic

Ariana's 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' Rubs Me The Wrong Way After I've Been Cheated On

If you convince my boyfriend to break up with me because you're bored, I may just snap your neck... because I'm bored.

181
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btww7f5FVcb/
Instagram @ArianaGrande

Last week Ariana Grande released her 5th audio album, "thank u, next" which included the highly anticipated track "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored." Believe me when I say that as an Ariana fan since 2014, this was the one track on the album that I was the most excited to hear and was definitely the first one that I streamed when the album dropped.

And I'll say it: it's an absolute bop.

But no matter how hard I try to enjoy its catchiness and not think about the lyrics, the whole concept of the song leaves an extremely bitter taste in my mouth.

While hard-core Ariana fans try to defend it claiming that "it's a joke" and that "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne and "Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Dolls had the same concept, I can't take it as a joke. The message that Ariana is sending to girls everywhere that it's OK to step in and try to and ruin a relationship based on what you want is extremely toxic.

And while Ariana tries to claim that we all miss understood the meaning and that the song is actually about self-love, the lyrics definitely seem to say otherwise:

Usually don't give it away (Yeah, yeah)
But you know I'm out here thinkin' 'bout it

[Pre-Chorus]
Then I realize she's right there
And I'm at home like, "Damn, this ain't fair"

[Chorus]
Break up with your girlfriend (Girlfriend)
Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored

The album was undoubtedly a hit, but as someone who has had their relationship destroyed by a girl with this exact same mindset, I can't believe that there is someone else out there who not only thinks this way but also feels no shame in what they're doing to the point where they need to promote it.

The similarities between my situation and Ari's are absolutely uncanny. I was with my boyfriend for close to a year when a girl that he knew through family friends had just broken up with her boyfriend. She literally was bored (and if we're being honest, probably pretty sad she wasn't getting any male attention).

She ended up sliding into my boyfriend's DMs and pulling the "yeah your girlfriend is pretty" but somehow convincing him to break up with me for her in the same message. Did she co-write this song with Ariana? Very, very possible.

Her and all of her friends can make excuses for it all they want, but at the end of the day, there's no excuse for coming in between two people and trying to end a relationship because of your own personal wants. Not even because you're bored, @Ariana.

It's caused me years of insecurities and more than likely, a whole lifetime of trust issues. It continues to hurt me when I hear "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored" and I'm reminded of not only what happened to me, but that Ariana Grande, who has a following of millions, is telling girls that this behavior is okay. And unfortunately, many of these girls will listen.