Are You "Ready for It"? Taylor Swift's Hot Single Analyzed

Who is this Song About?

114
ScreenShot/Instagram

Enough is enough, here is a full analysis on Taylor Swift's hottest new single - and I mean, it. Is. Hot. - Swift first dropped her debut "Look What You Made Me Do" to introduce her newest, and possibly best, album titled, Reputation.

Reputation opens with the line, "Knew he was killer first time I saw him"; obviously, this can reference anyone, but out of all of her exes who was the one who continuously broke hearts? There are two evident suspects: Harry Styles and Joe Alwyn, but then again, why would she be singing negatively about her current beau? There are many questions and thoughts to ponder over, so let's go deeper.

We all know that Styles is a heartthrob and he seems to break many hearts, but so does Swift, so could it be safe to assume that this is perhaps Taylor Swift's own reputation, but in a male's perspective? I think we can take Joe Alwyn off the table, because he is her current boyfriend, and nonetheless, it would be odd to sing negatively about a current boyfriend.

Swift and Styles had an interesting romance, although it was short lived, it still does not live up to Taylor squared. Anyhow, in her following line, "But if he's a ghost, then I can be a phantom", I believe she is responding to Styles' song "Two Ghost's". This is more than likely her calling Styles out saying that she could hold him for leading women on and dumping them before he dives too far in.

The song goes on from there, with small, hidden messages that throw out clues from their island getaway back in early 2013, to encounters with the press on Styles breaking hearts and leaving the victim on the ground. Swift's new single is one for the books, and this should also be one to not only annotate and decipher meaning, but to enjoy the story.

Swift's titled album, Reputation, will be released November 10, 2017.