An Open Letter To The Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

I was blinded by your words and deaf to your actions.

53
Christian Gerth

You wooed me. You fooled me. You hurt me. Your words and your actions contradicted one another, but I couldn't see it. All I saw was the good in you. You could say that's my fault, and it very well could be. I tend to have a default setting that allows me to see the good in people, no matter what. Often times, I see that as a good thing, but in some cases and/or relationships, it's definitely a bad thing. Without a doubt, I can say that when it came to you, it was a bad thing. I was blinded by your words and deaf to your actions.

You said all the right things. You told me anything that you thought I wanted to hear. You edited your story to fit mine. Each and every time you said something I thought was sweet, you lied. You made me believe you were "The One." You weren't. Actually, you were far from it. If I'm being completely honest, you were everything you said you weren't. You were "a wolf in sheep's clothing."

You were distant. When I say you were distant, I mean you only made time for me when it was convenient for you. And when it wasn't convenient for you, you claimed that I was "smothering." I put that in quotations because that couldn't be further from the truth. I gave you your space-- so much so that to the outside world we looked like mere acquaintances.

You were dishonest. When I say you were dishonest, I mean you made up stories about the smallest of things. I asked you questions about life that anyone would when trying to get to know someone. They were easy questions. So easy that, it would be hard for someone to be dishonest about them. But, you proved me wrong.

Sometimes I wonder how I could have been so blinded by your words and deaf to your actions. But, then, I realize you wanted it that way. You wanted me to see you in such a light that I wouldn't know you weren't right for me. You wanted me to be distracted by the person that I thought you were. You wooed me. You fooled me. You hurt me.

I'm not writing this to roast you. I'm writing this to show that, after everything, I'm OK. I'm glad I got out as quickly as I did. If I wouldn't have, who knows where I would be. I'm not the same person I was then, and I'm so thankful for that. And, as crazy as this sounds, I'm so glad you did what you did and that you are the person that you are.

Because of you, I've learned to truly know a person before I believe every word they say. Actions are much louder than words. I'm no where near as gullible as I once was. I'm now able to detect when someone's not being honest, and I thank you for that. After everything, you taught me a lesson I needed to learn.

I learned that not everyone is who they say they are. I learned that I don't have to settle. I learned that some guys will say anything and everything I want to hear just to be with me. I learned that even I can be fooled by the wrong guy. I learned that it's better to be single than to be in the wrong relationship. But, best of all, I learned that I deserve better.

At the time, I thought I was ready for a relationship. I realize now that I only jumped into our relationship because I was tired of not having a boyfriend. I thought I needed one. I'm glad I was wrong. I know now that it's better to be single than to be in a relationship like that. In fact, as you can see from a previous article, I enjoy being single. I enjoy my independence. It's what is right for me right now. I may find love one day, but what I had with you definitely wasn't love. And, I'm so happy it wasn't.