An Open Letter To The Professor That Changed Me For The Better

You deserve so much recognition.

188
EdTech

Dear Professor,

Throughout my time in college, I’ve had great professors and I’ve had some not-so-great professors! This semester has been the best by far, I have truly been blessed to have the most amazing professors and you’re one of them. There are so many reasons that I am thankful for the opportunity to be your student, but here are just a few:

1. Thank you for welcoming me.

There are some professors that you can really tell just don’t care about their students. I’m just another number in a class to them and I’ll be gone at some point during the semester. That wasn’t the case with you, though. From day one, I could tell that you cared. You made me feel welcome in your class, learned my name, and I’ve looked forward to your class ever since.

2. Thank you for being so passionate about your job.

There’s no doubt that professors and educators in general have tough jobs. From the time in the classroom to all of the grading and the office hours that you have, you spend so much time on us.

3. Thank you for truly caring about your students.

Every single time I see you, you have a big smile on your face and you always seem so happy to see me. It’s so nice to know that the person you look up to cares about you and is joyful that you showed up to speak with them.

4. Thank you for making class enjoyable.

I tell you what -- you know what’s up. Instead of just reading from a PowerPoint and droning on and on, you try to make class fun and engage the various types of learners in your class. Because you took the time to get to know us, you know that sometimes a PowerPoint isn’t the most useful took for a student and they need to either relate topics to real life or even see something demonstrated. A truly brilliant educator knows that they must be flexible in order to reach all of their students and help them learn.

5. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

You amaze me with what you know and how intelligent you are. Thank you for sharing all of the information that you know with me and for making me expand my mind to understand this world that we live in.

6. Thank you for challenging me.

While a lot of students would complain about this, I know that this is one of the most important parts of your job. You don’t make things easy, which I appreciate. Instead, you push me because you know what I’m capable of and you believe in me. You believe in me when I don’t necessarily believe in myself, and I am so thankful that you do.

Honestly, my college would not be the same without you. Thank you for changing me for the better, making me a better student, caring about me, and working so hard to educate me. You’re one of the unsung heroes.