An Open Letter To My Little Bits

An Open Letter To My Little Bits

“As long as you’re living, my baby you’ll be.”

89
An Open Letter To My Little Bits
The SITS Girls

One of my professors recently ended class with the question, “If you could give a child only one piece of advice, what would you wish to tell them?” As I exited the class doors my mind was racing with numerous ideas of things I would suggest or advice I would give. I am sure I was one of the few who left and thought as deeply as I did about this particular question. Perhaps I valued the question more than most due to the fact that I have a three year old sister and ten month old little cousin who I want to be equipped in every way possible to handle whatever life may throw at them. The world today is not like it used to be and it worries me to think of the things Maddox and Cleo will be exposed to, despite our best efforts to shield them from the harshness and devastation. I decided to alter my professor’s question slightly and have compiled a list of advice I wish to give Maddox and Cleo.

“Never let anyone dull your sparkle.”

The world is full of individuals who make it their mission to bring unhappiness to others simply due to their personal unhappiness. My first piece of advice to you girls is to not allow them to do so and to instead make it your mission to create sparkle in the eyes of those whose have become dull. There will always be individuals who choose to be unhappy, but by you creating sparkle in their lives, you will not only live a happier life, but you will also make a difference into the lives of those around you. Work towards your goals and remain true to yourself; stand your ground. No dream is unachievable if hard work is involved. Do not conform to the ways of this world; instead allow others around you to conform to your ways. Be a light and example and I promise you will sparkle.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”

Girls, words hurt a lot despite what you have learned from this nursery rhyme. My second piece of advice is to carefully choose your words always no matter the circumstances. Think before you speak. I have been on the giving end and receiving end of harsh words and neither is pleasant. Words can never be taken back once they are released and they are never forgotten. I hope that you will never learn how hurtful words can be, but if you do I hope you choose to rise above and speak kindness instead of retaliating back with harshness and bitter anger.

“The cost of not following your heart is spending the rest of your life wishing you had.”

One of the greatest and profound pieces of advice I can give you girls is to live your life the way you wish. Do not let others influence your choices and life choices. You both are your own, wonderful, extraordinary person and your lives should reflect that. By choosing to live a life that only pleases others, you are choosing a life that is not pleasing to you personally, which will result in unhappiness. That isn’t living; it’s living in fear. Choosing to live the life you want over what others expect of you is a sign of courage and strength, which I know you both are filled with. Figure out what you love to do and then find a way to get paid for it. If anyone can get paid for jumping off recliners after being told not to or playing dress up 24/7, I am sure it will be the two of you.

“Nothing haunts us more than the things we didn’t buy.”

Though I am sure this goes without saying, always purchase the shoes. If you are anything like me, which I hope you are, you will regret not buying them almost immediately. I learned the term CPW (cost per wear) early on and it has allowed me (saved me really) to purchase several additional pairs of shoes and clothes that I would not have been able to justify otherwise. If you want a pair of shoes that is $150, then as long as you wear the shoes 15 times, technically you only paid $10 for each wear (genius I know). This does work with other items, like toys, as well.

“Who says you can’t go home.”

Life is not easy. It is filled with many hardships and bad decisions, yet no matter how dark the path may seem your family is always there as a source of light. Do not ever believe you have done something so awful that you cannot come home or share with me. Trust me, I am sure Malone or I have done something equally as bad if not worse than what you will do. Each time I screw up or I am overjoyed over something, the first people I text or call is our family. I just want you to know we are there every step of the way and though we may be annoying at times by always being on your case, it is only because we love you. We would do anything for you. Never forget that.

“I’d rather stand with God and be judged by the world, than stand with the world and be judged by God.”

My last and final piece of advice is an enormous one and the most important. Remain steadfast in your faith and you will go anywhere. Though the path may not always seem straight, God will lead you down each winding road. He will ensure you are prepped for every battle as long as you stand with Him and pray for His guidance. Your faith is the most vital thing you can have in this life; it can never be taken away. Being different is hard I know, yet you cannot choose to fall into the bad ways of this world simply to fit in. Be yourself and stand up for what you believe in, whether the individuals in this world back you or not. Though it may feel as if you are alone at times, if you choose to stand with Him, you will find you will never stand alone.

I love you both so much. I cannot wait to watch you grow into the wonderful people I know you each will. Just know that I am always here and I know the best ways to get out of being in trouble…ssshh, don’t tell mom or Aunt Miranda!

xoxo my little bits,

Madison