An Open Letter To My Cousin

An Open Letter To My Cousin

823
An Open Letter To My Cousin

Courageous. Strong. Fearless. Three powerful words to describe you but that is not even close to being enough. I’ve watched you grow up and I’ve watched you fall, but I’ve also watched you succeed. You have been more than a cousin to me, you basically are the sister I never had. I watched you wear your baggy clothes, your basketball jerseys, and how you always wore a baseball cap when you were younger. You were the typical “tom boy.” But, of course there is nothing wrong with that. After all, we all know that guy’s clothes are a million times more comfortable that girl’s clothes.

When we were little I would come over after school and we would play outside, play school, play video games and of course we would fight like the immature kids we were. Being an only child, you made me feel like I had a sibling. You know that we come from an “interesting” family to say the least, but we have also dealt with a lot of hardships as a family.

But the purpose of this letter isn’t to dwell on our childhood and talk about the stupid things we used to do, but rather to tell you how proud I am of the women you’ve become. You have had your own personal endeavors you had to overcome. You’ve dealt with people teasing you and criticizing you even though they don't know who you truly were. But the truth is, you had yet to figure out who you were yourself.

Your ability to come out to our family, whom can be stubborn, judgmental and even sometimes hypocritical, astounds me. It amazed me how you did it with such pride and grace. You were confident knowing that you were telling us who you are and how you want to live your life.

The best part about you coming out to us, but especially to me, is that you have redefined what love means and what it takes to truly love and care for another person. Your relationship is beautiful and when I see the two of you in pictures I can't help but smile and have some regained hope and faith that one day I will experience the kind of love in a relationship like you do.

However, I think my favorite part about you is your bad-ass attitude and your mentality to not care about the opinions of others. I love when you tell me stories about people coming up to you at the club and assuming your a guy and when you tell them you’re a girl and then still don’t believe you and you think it’s the most hilarious thing. That assurance within yourself and the fact that you are secure in the women that you are is incredible and very respectable. You continue to amaze me in the things that you do. You have a heart of pure gold and you keep your friends and family at your side because it's what matters most.

The most important lesson you have taught me is to never be afraid to be yourself and never ever let people compromise your happiness. Be true to yourself because if you can love and accept yourself, how can anybody else love and respect you? I love you cuz, no matter what!