'American Idol' Is Back And I Couldn't Be Happier About It

Are you watching the new season?

698
American Idol / Facebook

"American Idol" is back- you read that right. The show premiered on Sunday, March 11th, at 8 p.m. on ABC. It was originally canceled after its 15th season back in April of 2016. That was soon after all of the original judges (Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Simon Cowell) finally left. A signature part of the show was the judges, especially Simon Cowell.

Watching Simon Cowell crush dreams was actually one of the thrills of watching, and when he left the show a few seasons before it ended, it was never the same. The auditions were the most popular part of the show. One notable audition was known as "Pants on the Ground" from 2010.

I watched "American Idol" on and off growing up, and it has produced many successful careers in singing. Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert who was a runner-up, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, and even Chris Daughtry who was actually in fourth place in his year, etc. There is a reason that the show was brought back. It made too much of a difference in the music industry.

In this reboot, the three new judges are Lionel Richie (representing R&B), Luke Bryan (representing country) and Katy Perry (representing pop). There wasn't much hype surrounding Luke or Lionel, but many were confused all over social media about why Katy was chosen as a judge. Personally, from the first episode, watching her and the other judges, I love the dynamic. Just because she got a haircut like the rebellious Miley Cyrus (who was actually a great judge on "The Voice" herself) doesn't mean she is too "wild" or "ditzy."

During the first episode, there was a contestant that at first, two out of the three judges thought he was unoriginal so they didn't let him through, then later on Richie changed his mind and let him through to Hollywood. They discussed it in front of him, how important it is to be original and not just mimic other artists before letting him through.

I can't say that there is a specific angle with the new judges. The old judges had Paula as the soft one, Randy as the fair one, and Simon as the harsh realistic one. These new judges are equally fair and critical, which makes for a fair show.

There was one other contestant that studied opera and sang a lot growing up, and she was just terrible. The judges handled it with class and were brutally honest with her, saying that whoever she talked to about her singing was lying to her.

My predictions for the show thus far is a lot of laughs, honesty, and fun. The auditions are on every Sunday and Monday at 8 p.m. Give the show a chance! It is ultimately a great way to learn about the business of what it takes to become a successful singer. It won't be easy, there will be crying and frustration, but that makes this kind of show entertaining. Watch it!