American Girl Dolls As Today's Political Controversies

They aren't just your sweet dolls anymore.

234
The Odyssey Online

I think everyone can agree that the state of politics in the United States lately has been quite interesting. Everyday, new iPhone news update brings either eye rolls, curse words, or cheers. 2017 has brought us some interesting political conversation, but 2016 brought us the trend of using Disney princesses or old toys as a way to describe the current trends. I'm sure you've all seen an article that related the princesses to today's teenagers or something similar. So why not mash everyone's two favorite things, American Girl dolls and politics, together?

Kit: The Media

I think this one goes without saying. Kit always dreamed of being a reporter so she of course she has to represent the press. And since she represents the press, she must also deal with the newly coined "fake news" title. Let's be real, at this point "fake news" is anything that goes against what the President believes is right. Just saying.

Josefina: The Dreamers

The DREAM Act is a piece of legislation that helps undocumented immigrants eventually get permanent residency in the United states. Josefina is a strong girl who always worked hard and I have no doubt she would be a Dreamer if she was a real person and not a doll. Immigration is a highly debated topic lately with everyone watching to see if the proposed wall is actually going to happen.

Kaya: The DAPL Pipeline

If you've been living under a rock you might not have heard about the Dakota Access Pipeline, DAPL for short. In summary, the DAPL is a pipeline that was originally blocked from being constructed, but has been put back on the table after an executive order from you know who. The pipeline will infringe on the land of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation. Kaya would definitely be one of the protesters out there standing with Standing Rock.

Samantha: A Passionate Trump Supporter

Samantha was a part of a rich family, but that's not why she represents a Trump supporter. I'd also like to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with being a Trump supporter; everyone has their own beliefs and that's cool. Samantha is passionate about things and will fight for what she believes in, even if it might be a little misinformed. Think of her as Tomi Lahren: strong, passionate, smart. Hopefully she yells a lot less than Tomi though.

Addy: A Marcher in the Women's March

The Women's March made headlines everywhere. Whether you loved it or hated it, you were definitely talking about it. Addy would definitely be one of those marchers fighting for equal rights for women and the other groups the march supported such as the BLM movement or the LGBTQ movement. In her story, Addy faced slavery so there's no doubt she would be marching to fight for the rights she deserves today. Addy was always a strong girl so the march would be a piece of cake for her. She was also one of my favorites but that's beside the point.

Molly: The Syrian Refugee Crisis

Now hear me out on this one because I know it's not the most obvious representation. Molly and her family took in a British girl during WWII in her story. Plus she's very nice. That is why I think she can represent the refugee crisis. I think Molly would definitely be a friend to those in need. Plus she's patriotic so she'd want people to be able to experience how awesome it is to live in America.

I think it's important to note that I meant no harm by this article. It was a fun way for me to write about important political movements and issues happening today. If I offended anyone that was never my intention. Thanks for reading!