The Best Advice I've Ever Received

The Best Advice I've Ever Received

Always shot-chasing

14
The Best Advice I've Ever Received

As far as advice goes, I've gotten some great advice. Mostly from family members, but also from some of my friends. I've taken to most of the advice I've received, and not so much to others. But there was one piece of advice that I'll never forget.

It was 2012, senior year of high school, the sun was out, but it wasn't that warm. All we had to do was get through a lacrosse practice, mainly because it was the last one since spring break was upon us. We were off to a hot start defeating the #5 team in the state at home, then two more wins over two very good Rochester teams. All up until out second half complete meltdown at Grosse Pointe North. But we moved on from that. We were just trying to have a bit of fun before we got off of lacrosse.

Our practice field was terrible. At the old school, we were condemned to our back 40 spot where there were more patches of dirt than grass. It was tricky when you had to play to bounce for a ground ball. But you know, we made it work. Just made it difficult during games, since weren't used to actual ground balls being on the ground. But I digress.

Practice was just finishing up and we were in the huddle ready to break it down, pack up, then head home for some much-needed R & R (rest and relaxation). Coach told us to have fun, but not too much fun, because we still had work to do when we got back from break. It was then, one of the other seniors on the team spoke up. Names will not be named, but he said, "Remember guys, if lacrosse has taught you anything, it's that you always chase your shots."

I laughed, but I had no idea what we were laughing about. I didn't quite understand that was being said. I was a young and extremely out of touch with the outside world. That is until I got to college and well, we all know how that goes. But from that moment on, that statement has stuck with me for quite a while. And as far as advice goes, that some solid insight from a senior in high school that I thought I'd never use.