Is Technology Bringing Us Closer Together Or Further Apart?

The perspective of a technology-dependent millennial

1251
sheknows.com

Disclaimer: I am 20-years-old, obsessed, and completely dependent on my cell phone.

However, I was taken back a few days ago when I was at a restaurant with my dad and I saw an older woman, presumably with her granddaughter, who was about 6-7 years old. The reason why I was so taken aback by the situation was because the granddaughter played on the Ziosk tablet the entire time the two of them ate, looking up probably twice at her grandmother.

Now, I know she’s too young to realize that this is rude, but I couldn’t help feeling bad for the woman who was just staring at her granddaughter play a game the whole time they were out for lunch.

As much as I wanted to snatch it out of the child’s hands, or have the grandmother do it, I just watched and wondered instead.

Everyone today is fortunate enough to have access to some sort of social media or technology because of everything that it’s capable of making us capable of doing… but what happens when the generation below us doesn’t remember life without dependence on technology?

I feel as if we have to be careful with the generations below us as to not be as dependent as we are on technology. We are the generation that has to set an example for this upcoming generation as to what is and isn't okay when it comes to technology use in social settings.

I understand that it’s easier to give a kid what they want rather than work something out, but we should be teaching the future how lucky we are to have technology, however still implementing rules about respect.

As I watched the scenario unfold in the middle of the restaurant, I realized how hypocritical of me it was when I picked up my phone and texted my friend about it because I was so outraged by the situation. In doing this, I completely ignored my family member who sat across from me.That's when I knew I should be taking my own advice as well.