Advice From Annika

Advice From Annika

I am giving advice to questions asked to me anonymously.

45
Advice From Annika

I had the idea of asking my friends, family, and colleagues what they might want some advice or a second opinion on. These are their questions and my responses.

What should I choose as my college major?

There are so many options out there. Unfortunately, without knowing you better I am not able to give you a solid answer as to what major you should choose. Besides, there is no guarantee that you will stick with the original major that you chose anyways. So my advice would be to go to community college if you are unsure to get your general education classes out of the way. At the same time, you can try out elective classes that can go towards a specific major that you might eventually choose. By doing this, I ended up adding my communication minor because I was so interested in the subject. Here is a link to a college major quiz that might give you a starting point to choosing a major.

Should I sign up for sorority recruitment?

needpix

There are questions that I feel that every woman should ask herself when she asks this question. Do need to be a part of a sorority just to have it on your resume? If yes, there are so many other things you can do to fill out a resume. Do you have friends that are in the sorority that you are thinking of joining? If yes, do you think you would see them any less if you weren't in the same sorority? Are you financially stable enough to afford the costs of joining a sorority? There are a handful of fees attached to being in a sorority. Are you ready to pay all of them? Last and most important question, can you handle constantly being surrounded by other women, their opinions, and different lifestyles? Don't forget that you will be judged throughout the entire recruitment process about your looks, personality, and how you interact with the other women. If you can't handle that kind of scrutiny, I would say pass. If you are up for it, I say YOU GO GIRL!

"I've been seeing this guy for a few weeks and he's been super sweet but also doesn't really take me out, mostly just cooks me dinner at his place. We haven't talked in a while and I want to reach out but I'm worried he doesn't care about me and I'd just be embarrassing myself. Should I reach out?"

I am a firm believer in communication is key. If you don't start the conversation, will you regret never having it? It seems like you are quite interested in this guy but am afraid of getting rejected. I can totally relate to this. It's scary putting yourself out there. But I do know that it is so much better knowing where you stand with someone than always asking yourself "what if" or "should I". Rejection is a part of life. It is going to happen whether we want it to or not. It may be in a relationship or it may be for a job. Don't let the fear of rejection define your connection with this guy. It seems like he does have some interest in you since he cooks for you at his place. Do you realize how amazing it is that he even knows how to cook? He might not be taking you out for a date simply because he might not be able to afford one. But my response to that would be there are always options that are either inexpensive or cost nothing at all. I would reach out! Say something like, "Hey, haven't heard from you in a while, just wanted to know if something was up?" But of course make it your own. You don't need to be blunt about it unless you want to. Keep it casual. All else fails, like my mom always says, "you can never have too many friends".

"I'm a current incoming freshman and am curious as to what you think is the biggest thing every student should know going into their first year here at ASU?"

I can only give generic advice for this question because I did my freshman and sophomore years of college at Glendale Community College and came to ASU as a junior. ASU is a huge university and there are so many ways that you can get involved in the community and just have a fun experience with your college career. I would say the biggest thing you should know is that the doors are wide open and all you need to do is step in. Get involved. make new friends, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and you will definitely have a fun time at ASU!

Love

Public Domain Pictures

Love is an extremely complex form of emotion. At the same time, it is one of the first emotions that we experience in life. It is so easy to fall in love and not as easy to fall out of love. I'm not sure what you are asking for in terms of advice on love. I would say, love as much as you can. It is better to be remembered as the one who loved everyone and everything than the one who loved nothing at all.

Should I get a job freshman year of college?

Picpedia

I have been working all throughout college and still have a social life. I would say go for it. You can easily find a student based job through the school that would work around your class schedule and gives you some pocket money to have a fun night out once in a while. I would say don't get a job if you are too worried that having the job would hamper your ability in completing your classwork. School is more important, and you can always get a job next year. Wait a month into your first semester to decide. By then you are able to tell how crazy of a workload you will have for the semester and be able to tell if you are willing to add on having a job or not. You don't need to work your freshman year. Your studies and building a foundation for your college career are more important.