A Little Advice For Someone Getting Their First Tattoo

It'll all be worth it in the end...and then you'll want another one.

134
Bri Roberts

I got my first tattoo in February of 2018 after months of deciding what I was going to get. My experience was fantastic and I want to help you have the same great time that I did!

When getting your very first tattoo, I recommend getting one that means something to you. Just like you never forget your first love, you never forget your first tattoo and odds are if you get more, you'll be asked about your first a lot. So making sure your first tattoo is one you really want to have is a good idea. Plus, tattoos are not cheap. Make sure you're spending all that money on something you really want to have on your body forever.

1. Make sure you eat before your appointment and bring lots of water with you.

You might be sitting for a while and you don't want to become shakey from hunger while someone is trying to make straight lines for your forever art. And making sure you stay hydrated is always a good idea, so bring a water bottle or two with you.

2. Take some pain relief before you arrive at your appointment.

Having a needle stabbing you over and over again is not the most comfortable thing in the world. While the pain is not unbearable, it is still a good idea to manage it. Taking some ibuprofen or Advil before your appointment can help keep you in the chair longer without having to stop for so many breaks.

3.  Bring gum or a lollipop with you.

No seriously, this works. I brought a lollipop to my appointment and I'm sure glad I did. Having something to bite down on for those really sensitive spots is a blessing. Plus it can help distract you from any discomfort you might be feeling.

4. Make sure you wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting ink on.

While your artist will do a great job at keeping the area clean, sometimes ink does run and especially after they put A&D on it. Tattoo ink will ruin any piece of clothing it touches so either wear something that you don't mind having ink on or wear something that doesn't cover your tattoo.

5. Listen to your artist.

They know what they're talking about when it comes to caring for your tattoo and the tattoo you're getting. They do this for a living and know whether or not a certain placement isn't going to look as good as Pinterest made it seem. Take their advice and tip them for their work!

6. Last but not least...Take care of your tattoo!

Without proper care, your tattoo can become infected, fade quickly, or can disappear altogether. Your artist will most likely give you either a pamphlet or a list of all the things you need to do to take care of your tattoo and all of the things not to do if you really want your new ink to last forever. These instructions are very important and should be followed carefully.

Getting a new tattoo is such a fun experience and gives allows you to wear something you love, a piece of your personality, or just some cool artwork on your sleeve. Making sure you're prepared for your appointment and the care of your tattoo afterward is very important! And trust me, it's really not that bad.