I'm Taking Advantage Of Every College Opportunity, And So Should You

I'm going abroad again, and know it'll be worth it.

81
Brittan Semler

It's official -- I'm going abroad again instead of using my summer to get ahead on internships or other types of career preparation. Not only will I be spending 5 weeks in Greece, but I will be doing nothing relating to my major or the career path I'm tentatively outlining. Instead of running social media platforms or editing press releases, I'll be learning about and working on an archeological site excavating ancient Mycenaean chamber tombs -- a bit unexpected, to say the least.

I've gotten all sorts of crazy looks from people when I tell them of my summer-before-senior-year plans. Although my friends say they're jealous and wish me a great trip, I can tell some aren't super confident in my choice to sacrifice a summer income and valuable career experience to pay to spend five weeks traveling and digging holes in the ground. I was never all that confident, either -- I like being prepared, and summer is the best opportunity for in-depth internships that don't compete with hectic class and extracurricular schedules. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't missing out on much.

But then again, when am I going to get an opportunity like this again? Working at a field school in Greece as a sort of beginning archaeologist is something only a handful of people in the entire world even have the chance to do. I will have other chances to have internships -- I'll just have to work even harder during the school year. I can do it. I'll never get such a great opportunity as this again, and I'm proudly taking full advantage. I'm incredibly lucky to have this chance and the means to make it a reality.

Even though archaeology is nothing close to my field, I know the things I'll learn about myself will be invaluable. I'll be working alongside students and esteemed researchers from all over the world, developing skills in communicating with people from all different backgrounds and cultures (and languages). I will also be completely out of my element -- I'll learn more about the extent of my own strength, when I may be at my most uncomfortable. I will take things as they come, and treasure every day. I can't wait.

There are so many cool opportunities in college and in life that go unrealized -- even smaller-scale things like joining new clubs, taking a class that interests you, or volunteering for something you're passionate about. If something is ever once in a lifetime, go for it. In 50 years, those are the experiences we will remember most. Those are the experiences that make life worth living.