Writer's Block Can't Block a Writer

Writer's Block is Part of The Journey

ufhdsnkn - Me.

50

So many possibilities, yet somehow my mind can't land on anything.

We get stuck. Our minds just can't think of any topic. At that moment, we doubt our abilities as writers. For minutes, hours even, our mind feels like it's been splurging nonsense. It feels like how "vbfadfaohf" would feel: all tangled with much ideas but ideas that aren't...good. We forge pseudonyms as we think of ideas that just don't seem to stick to who we really are. They don't use our voice- they aren't our voices, yet they're in our minds somehow.

I think that's incredible: having a limitless capacity of thought (but there are just so many unknowns that we don't know of). With greater power, however, comes greater responsibility.

We want to challenge ourselves, being more creative to see where our minds can go. It can go to infinity and beyond, perhaps, but when it comes to writing, why is our mind so picky? It's picky about who/what to write about. It's picky about the voice it wants to project. It's picky in the sense that there's this vast space that wants to release energy but it can't. It's paralyzed.

I don't know what to blame, and frankly, I don't want to blame anything. It's writer's block in itself; but of course, to live in a cognitive society means that addressing this block searches for an external standard. Such a standard would determine a cause to this block, but this is a topic that strays away from the journey.

Having a writer's block doesn't seem like a big deal, for me at least. I think that having such a block, however, is talked about because it's a point when the mind is blank yet full at the same time. A million things going on up in this brain, but the picky writer can't choose. It's full of thoughts and consciousness but blank with the hesitation and standards that come with sharing unsure ideas. Loving to write is one thing, but choosing what to write about is a writer's plot.

The block challenges the protagonist. It's an enemy that takes over the writer's mind, coming and going whenever it pleases. The writer entertains several ideas before taking a seat on the rollercoaster of storytelling. However, something always brings the writer to victory: a spark, that one idea that makes the protagonist drive their hands to write. Ideas come together, and stories live.

To end this, I'd like to quote from the movie "The Apartment"; it's a new favorite film of mine. The writers did such an intricate story, tying it all together with the ending line, "shut up and deal." All the hours and days spent on writing and writing and directing- all of it ended with four non-sentimental words. Just beautiful.