A New Year's Reflection

A New Year's Reflection

Following New Year's Day in 2017, I wrote a memo to myself about the year I had experienced, and I wanted to share it with all of you.

8
A New Year's Reflection

This past year, 2017, was actually a pretty good year for me. My mental health was good except for some stress caused by junior year. I was able to achieve goals that I had in sports and athletics which made me feel accomplished. I maintained a good level of physical fitness throughout the year with cross country and track. Although I did not maintain my fitness as much over the holidays, I am back on track now. My diet was ok for the year, as I ate a lot of vegetables and fruits and dairy and drank a lot of water. During the holidays, my diet was not as good.

One way to improve my exercise is to try to incorporate more weight training in with the cardio I do in the weight room. Another way to improve is to focus more on arms because I already focus a lot on legs while running. A third way to improve my exercise is to not slack off during the holidays or the offseason and get motivated to work out during breaks. Fourth, I could try walking to the bus stop more often and not asking my mom to drive me to school. Finally, one way to improve my exercise is to add more reps to exercises I do overtime.

One way to improve my diet is to stop eating a lot of chocolate because it is not good for me in excess. Furthermore, I should try to balance my vegetable and dairy intake, because usually I eat a lot of cheese and have fewer vegetables. One example of this would be to eat vegetable pizza instead of just cheese pizza. Next, my diet could be better if I reached my daily caloric, protein, and fat intake by eating less saturated fats and incorporating an equal balance of grains and vegetables. Fourth, right now, I do not really have time to make my own food and just eat whatever is put in front of me. A way to change this would be to set aside time to prepare my own healthier meals. Finally, a way to improve my diet would be to drink more water because it would improve my skin, digestion, and decrease appetite.

One way to improve my mental health would be to get more rest because then I would have a better mood and would be able to focus more. Another way to improve my mental health would be to try to cut down on some of the activities I do. Currently, I do several clubs, in addition to all AP classes, volunteering, and sports which is very stressful. A third way to improve my mental health would be to do things to relieve stress such as meditation or yoga. A fourth way to improve my mental health would be to try to be more social and go out more and worry less about school. Finally, a way to improve my mental health would be to talk about the problems I have with my family and friends.

The information in the previous paragraphs about how to improve my mental health, diet, and exercise will help me in this new year, 2018. I can try to follow these tips to improve myself and my body for this year. I can become more healthy by bettering my diet and making the exercise I do well rounded. Furthermore, improving the state of my mental health will benefit me in sports and in school. If I can focus more, I will be able to do better in these aspects of my life which in turn will make me feel more accomplished.