9 Stops When Roadtripping Down I-95: Mid-Atlantic Edition

More sights to see as you continue your trip down the east coast.

14
Bruised Passports

I-95 runs from Houlton, Maine to Miami, Florida running along the east coast of the United States. It is one of the largest highways in the country and runs through numerous major cities. This is part two of a three part series of different places you can visit along I-95. If I-95 is part of your next road trip, check out some of these must see places!

New Jersey

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart

A National Historic Landmark located in Newark, NJ, this church was built in 1899. There are daily masses offered in both English and Spanish. Whether you’re interested in attending a mass or simply touring the beautiful church, this is one stop that is well worth it during your travels.

Laurel Acres Park

Found in Mount Laurel, NJ, this park is home to a playground, walking and biking paths around a pond, dog park, some workout equipment, and picnic areas. After driving through Jersey for a while, this might be the perfect spot to stretch your legs and enjoy a meal.

Delaware

Delaware Art Museum

I-95 only runs through a small portion of Delaware, but the Delaware Art Museum is a must see on your trip. Located in Wilmington, DE, the museum features exhibits including Dark Humor, Edward Koren, and Howard Pyle Murals. Tours are available for those of all ages starting at a cost of $12 per adult. A unique look at the arts is something not to be missed!

Maryland

National Aquarium

What better way to spend a day than at the aquarium? One of the largest aquariums in the USA, found in Baltimore, MD, this aquarium will give you an experience like no other. Touch some sea creatures in the living seashore, see some dolphins, or even go on a guided tour. Adult tickets are $39.95, while children are $24.95.

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Station

A must see for train and history enthusiasts! Located in Silver Spring, MD, the old railroad station was once a popular destination for President Harry S. Truman. See old ticket stubs, railroad paths, and the original station flooring. This historic landmark can also be rented for events.

Washington D.C.

Newseum

Found in the nation’s capital, the Newseum is home to both historic and modern day news events. Some of the exhibits include a 9/11 memorial, a chance to be your own news anchor, and holocaust information. Journalists and new lovers will delight in all that this one-of-a-kind museum has to offer.

Washington Monument

You’ve seen the Statue of Liberty, now stop to see the Washington Monument! Located on the National Mall, you’re just steps from other historic landmarks including the White House and the Smithsonian Museum. You can purchase tickets to take a tour inside the monument and climb the stairs to the top. The views are incredible of Washington D.C.!

Virginia

Lake Anna Winery

After all of this driving, you sure deserve a glass of wine! Head on over to Lake Anna Winery in Spotsylvania, VA for a glass of red, white, or sweet wine. Owned by the Heidig family, they expanded their farm business to include the winery in 2002. They occasionally have events include a fireworks display. Take some time for the adults and leave the kids back at the hotel!

Edgar Allen Poe Museum

Poetry fans will love this stop dedicated to famous American poet Edgar Allen Poe. Located in Richmond, Virginia (where Poe was raised), the museum holds memorabilia and artifacts pertaining to the late Poe. Self-guided and guided tours are both available with tickets costing $6 for adults and $5 for students/seniors.

Keep an eye out for part 3 of this series in which we'll look at the best I-95 stops in the Southeastern states!