8 Things You Are Asked When You're In A Sorority

From rushing, to stereotypes, what it's really like to be in a sorority.

12
tumblr

Sororities, along with Greek Life as a whole seem to get a pretty bad rep nowadays. I used to believe all the negative hype too, until I found out what most sorority girls are really like. I had them answer questions that they commonly get asked when people find out they are in a sorority, along with what they wished people knew about them, and here is what they said.

1. Why did you join a sorority?

I was a long way from home when I started college and I wanted to meet new people and have a close group of friends to relay on since I was away from home.

2. What's one thing you wish people who aren't Greek life could know?

We don't buy our friendships. We have dues in order to pay for social and philanthropy events we have, t-shirts. I can see how people think that this is the case because there is a part of me that wants to know if I'd be friends with these girls if I wasn't in this sorority, so I can see where people the the idea that we buy our friends. Also I wish people knew that not everything about Greek life is negative and there are actually a lot of positive requirements such as doing community service and keeping higher grades

3. If you could go back in time would you still rush?

Yes or else I wouldn't have met my amazing big. I would 100 percent still rush because it has allowed me to meet some of the best friends I have ever had

4. What do you think of sorority ranking (Greekrank.com)?

I think the website is kind of a joke because it is just people talking bad about other organizations and most of it isn't even true. I think it's hilarious. I look at it to see what people are saying and I feel like it's written by people who aren't even in a sorority or by guys that have had their heart broken by a girl in a certain sorority.

5. What do you think of frats?

I think that a large majority of them seem to be tools who think they're hot and better than everyone else, I would definitely choose a guy that wasn't in a frat over one who is.

I think fraternities are a great opportunity for the men in them but I personally don't spend a lot of time with fraternities

6. What do you hate most about being in a sorority?

The thing I dislike most about being in a sorority is the judgement from other people because they make a lot of assumptions about you that aren't true. I hate going to mandatory events that if I can't go to I will get fined. Penalties can range from being suspended to having to pay money.

7. What do you love most about being in a sorority?

I love having a sorority family that I am so close to that I get to share so many experiences and memories with. I love always having someone to talk to, and you have different friends for each type of situation. From boys to grades I have different friends that will be there.

8. What do you regret about being in a sorority?

I regret not taking advantage of every single opportunity given to me by being in a sorority . I regret not being able to go out with sisters when they asked me too, I could have built better bonds with them and I didn't.