8 NYE Foods to Remember Those Lost in 2106

"Grief is in two parts. The first is loss. The second is the remaking of life." ~Anne Roiphe

24

2016 is rolling to an end...finally! Let us bring in the New Year with laughs and togetherness. Food brings people together and what better way to start 2017 than with dishes to remember some of the greats that were taken from us.

1) Nancy Reagan

Monkey Bread

Nancy Reagan was the elegant wife of Ronald Reagan, the 40th President of the United States. She loved her husband very much. Mrs. Reagan has said that her "life didn't really begin until [she] met Ronnie."

What better way to capture that elegance and devotion than her monkey bread recipe. Monkey bread can't be made without milk and yeast, like Mr. and Mrs.Reagan couldn't live without the other. The look is classical like the former broadway actress.

2) Janet Reno

Chicken and Waffle Sliders

Janet Reno was the 78th attorney general of the United States and primly focused on reform of the juvenile justice system. A passion of hers was to help children who were abandoned/or abused.

What better way to remember her than with classic food of a child. Chicken tenders are a staple on kids menus and waffles are youthful dreams for breakfast. Chicken and waffles pairs both nicely together in remembrance of a social worker.

3) Alan Thicke

Poutine

Alan Thicke is a Canadian actor who was known for his fatherly role on ABCs TV Show Growing Pains.

Poutine is a Canadian "delicacy." What better way to celebrate Thicke than by honoring his heritage.

4) Florence Henderson

Frittata Di Spaghetti

The beloved on-screen mother from the Brady Bunch family loved to cook. Florence Henderson's signature dish was pasta. Her favorite restaurants were in Tuscany.

Her love for Italy and pasta makes frittata di spaghetti the perfect h'dourve.

5) Harper Lee

Country Ham and Biscuits

Harper Lee wrote the southern novel To Kill a Mockingbird. Her book references southern cuisine.

The south is about comfort food and that is exactly what is needed after the travesty that is 2016. Pay homage to the author of a cherished story with this country ham and biscuit recipe.

6) Doris Roberts

Meatballs

Doris Roberts portrayed the sassy mom on Everybody Loves Raymond and is known for being the better cook over Raymond's wife, Marie. Here is her meatball recipe that will make mouths water at your party.

Don't forget the meat sauce! You don't want them to taste like Marie's meatballs.

7) Henry Heimlich

Hotdogs

Henry Heimlich is the doctor who invented the method to prevent choking. Hotdogs are on the list as top choking hazards. They make a perfect way to give a nod to Dr. Heimlich. Just make sure you don't have to use the Heimlich maneuver!

8) John Saunders

Pepperoni Pizza

This ESPN commentator was known for his college football and basketball announcements. Pizza is a college staple for poor students looking to save a buck.Tie in the yummy cheesiness with a pepperoni shaped football to remember John Saunders.

Let us not forget those who we have looked up to or cherished for the joy their talents brought us. Make yourself happy with all the yummy food and bring in 2017 with comfort!