7 Modern Civil Rights Activists We Should Appreciate

Voices that are shaping our generation.

323
Andy Omvik

Although Black History Month has come to a reluctant end, I think it is appropriate that we still highlight the prominent leaders and figures of our current generation that are following the steps of the past GOAT’s to pave an easier path from African American’s in the future and bringing light to social injustices.

These great minds will eventually shape our future generations, and lead our country to true equality. They provide our dark world seemingly full of hate, malice, and not enough love with hope and inspiration. And while challenging the overwhelming adversity from nay-sayers and other supporters that oppose any forward-thinking movement that seeks to advance the entire African American community, these individuals are ruthless in their approach to assure that justice is served.

These seven activists have a lot to prove and have already impacted masses on a global level. It is only right to celebrate them and their valiant efforts.

1. Jesse Williams

This actor from Grey’s Anatomy is more than just a pretty face and pair of blue eyes. Along with protesting the heinous acts of police brutality, this man sits on the board of directors for the “Advancement Project” which is a nonprofit founded by civil-rights attorneys, dedicated to racial justice issues. He’s also produced the documentary, “Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement.”

2. Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi

A fearless and brave young woman who was arrested in South Carolina for removing the Confederate flag from a Confederate monument at the Statehouse. During this time, much controversy rose about the Confederate flag being a symbol of racism, while others thought of it as a symbol of victory over war. Nonetheless, Miss Newsome was not having it.

3. “Black Twitter”

Although not a person, the Black community on Twitter is highly supportive of each other, and they work together to expose racists, get them fired, and basically cope with each other in these trying times when the media means to expose and propagandize African Americans as inhumane.

4. Quanell X

Despite the derogatory statements about him, he is the leader of the New Black Panther party in Houston, TX. He is renowned for his faceoffs with white supremacists on Fox 26 News.

5. Michelle Alexander

While there are those who are more radical in their approach for reform, Alexander, a scholar and civil rights lawyer has written a book, “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in an Age of Colorblindness.” This book, which is about the alarming numbers of African Americans in jail, has become the Bible for modern civil rights activists and is a touchstone for activists on the rise.

6. Colin Kaepernick

We could never forget this former 49er quarterback who sparked the #TakeAKnee protest. During his career, Kaepernick refused to stand during the National Anthem because he did not believe in priding a country that ultimately despises and systematically abuses African Americans. Since being a free agent, Kaepernick has inspired many athletes to stand (or not to stand) for what they believe in.

7. Kendrick Lamar

It’s quite evident that this rapper’s striking lyrics such as “DNA” and “Alright” provoke the struggle and truth behind Black America. Lamar’s bold lyrics and activism in the black community provide hope awaken young African American’s to own their identity and begin to seek and enforce radical change of the system.

These are few of the many activists that stream from many walks of life and inspire Black America in their own, very unique way. Yet, these individuals continue to work outside of Black History Month to achieve racial equality every single day.