lessons learned from broadway

8 Lessons Broadway Has Taught Me

It's the best form of education

10
8 Lessons Broadway Has Taught Me

I love Broadway musicals. I have seen two shows on Broadway, four Broadway tours and as many high school performances as possible. Something about the story that's created, the characters we fall in love with and the songs. With my vast knowledge and love of musicals, I thought I would share some lessons that I have learned through different musicals. Here are eight of them.

1. "Wicked" Friendship Is Always Possible, Even When It's Unlikely

"Wicked" is the story between two very unlikely friends and shows us that friendship can happen between even the most unlikely of friends. You do not have to look the same or come from the same background to be friends.

2. "Hamilton" Always Take Your Chance

"Hamilton" teaches us that tomorrow is never promised. If you are offered the chance of a lifetime, don't throw away your shot! Take your chance; you never know where it's going to lead.

3. "Dear Evan Hansen" Love Yourself

"DEH" helps us to realize the importance of self-love and acceptance. We need to be secure in ourselves before things go south.

4. "Dear Evan Hansen" Don't Lie

Another thing we learn in "DEH" is the importance of telling the truth! We quickly see how sticky Evan's whole lie is, and it's just much easier to tell the truth.

5. "Rent" Live Like There's No Tomorrow

Tomorrow is not promised. Yet again, that is emphasized in a musical. It is the biggest thing that "Rent" teaches us. Live to the fullest, make the most of today and live like there's "no day but today."

6. "Les Mis" Let Go Of The Past

"Les Mis" teaches us to let go of wrongdoings. There is no good that comes from holding on to grudges, and we need to let them go and forgive in order to be able to move on with our lives.

7. "Waitress" You Can Get Out Of Toxic Relationships

I know in toxic/abusive relationships, people often feel that they don't have the power to leave. They think they need a certain circumstance or situation to happen before they can leave. "Waitress" helps us learn, alongside Jenna, that the power to leave is inside of you all along. You can do it by yourself, and you can make it... even if you feel so utterly hopeless.

8. "Bandstand: The Musical" Good Comes From Every Bad

"Bandstand" is a story of tragedy. All while struggling with PTSD, and the loss of watching his best friend die before his eyes, Donny Novitski turns the worst of the worst into a life changing experience by forming his own band for the nationwide bandstand competition. He reminds us that good does come from bad, no matter how low we feel we may be.

Besides being entertaining, the theater is a very educational place. Each one teaches us a certain lesson, no matter how obvious.