7 Things I Learned My First Semester Of College At FAU

Yes, I am as shocked as you are that it is already over.

14

With the end of my first semester of college ending, I have been reflecting on the numerous life lessons I have learned. Going into college, I thought I was an informed person who already knew everything that was needed to know in life. Little did I know that I was going to change my viewpoints on important issues, and most importantly, my life style. My first semester of college has really opened my eyes to a lot of different things, but most importantly, I learned life lessons worth knowing.

Don't Dwell on the Past

I have spent many days of my life dwelling on situations that happened in my past. Thankfully, I recently realized that you cannot go back and time and fix past mistakes. If it already happened, then just forget about it. All you can do about it know is try not to make the same mistake again.

Nobody is perfect

I, for one, am always so jealous of other people. I see someone and I think to myself, "Oh, my life would be so much better if I looked like this" or "She's so pretty, she must not have any stress". The truth is, nobody is perfect. Someone's image to the world may seem perfect, but in reality, their thoughts and lives just as crazy as yours.

Don't compare yourself to others

One thing that I used to always do was compare myself to other people, which often lead to negative thoughts. I would compare my success to somebody else's success, and of course the other person's is always better than yours. I learned that everyone is on their own path of life. So what is someone else got something handed to them but you had to bust your ass off for the same thing? That's life, and there is no point in comparing your own life to somebody else's.

Forgive and forget

Ruined relationships are going to happen in your life. Somebody is going to make you so mad that you don't want to speak to them ever again. Whenever that happens, do not hold a grudge with that person because it will only make you more bitter about the situation. Even if you're still angry, forgive the person and forget. Whether it be forget about the problem or forget about the person in general, that's up to you, but you will feel a whole lot better after you forgive them.

Don't procrastinate

Procrastination is the worst thing for you. If you are assigned something, please do not wait for the last minute because you're only making it hard for yourself. During finals week, make sure to prepare ahead of time. You will feel so much more confident and do much better on your exams. In life, waiting til the last minute will only cause stress, so get it done so you're not a mess.

Put yourself first

No one else is looking out for you but yourself. Remember that next time a friend lets you done. It will remind you that you have to learn to depend on yourself and not others. Also, it's not selfish to put yourself first. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Be happy

When was the last time you remembered to be happy? Sometimes, we're so worked up in life that we forget to be genuinely happy. You just need a quick break from life to enjoy those few moments to yourself or a nice night out with your closest friends. Whatever it may be, happiness is the cure to all and the solution to a good life, so go out there and be happy! :)