7 Summer Jobs You Can Safely Work During Quarantine In Your Hometown

It's not impossible to find a summer job during COVID-19.

14

COVID-19 has made it more than difficult to have a regular summer, and unfortunately this includes the summer jobs many of us were counting on. With restaurants, businesses and large venues closed or not operating in the normal fashion, many jobs have gone right along with them. Here is a list of some places you can still apply to if you are looking to make some extra money this summer.

1. Amazon

Amazon is actually still hiring for three different jobs right now, including a shopper, warehouse worker and a driver. There are definitely some risks associated with becoming a warehouse worker or a shopper for others, but applying to be a driver for Amazon packages might be the perfect job for you this summer! This job would most likely include little contact with others, and what's better than driving around and listening to your favorite music on a beautiful summer day.

2. Target

One of my best friends actually just conducted an over the phone interview with Target, and was hired to be a Target Starbucks barista at the Target closest to her. Right now Starbucks is operating with many new precautions to keep its customers and employees safe, so this would probably not be a very high risk job. If you're a fan of Starbucks, the job most likely comes with some free drinks to enjoy as well.

3. Trader Joes

A lot of people I know are applying to work at Trader Joes. This supermarket pays well, gives their employees great benefits, and has instated rules that help promote social distancing inside their store, such as limiting the number of people who enter at the same time. If you are able to get this job, I think it would be a perfect way to earn some extra money this summer.

4. DoorDash Delivery Driver

Many individuals do not feel safe leaving their home, or simply want to order in a meal some nights. Being a driver for DoorDash helps these people and also ensures that you have an easy way to make money this summer with little to no contact with other people.

5. Tutor

Maybe you have a history of tutoring high school kids over the summer and helping them prepare their college applications. There are creative ways to continue this work and to get around the social distancing recommendations. Zoom is a great platform for interacting with others from afar, and you can continue your business of helping people with their work using this application. Although the world has changed in many ways, other parts of life still march on, and you could serve as an important academic mentor in a young person's life during this time.

6. Local Restaurants

Take a look around your own town. Many businesses are beginning to open up again, even if they are just doing deliveries and pickups for their products. This change means many businesses may have an increased demand for part-time workers, and you might be the perfect fit.

7. Create Your Own Job!

Many people need help during this time, and there are ways to help these people while also earning some money this summer. Create some flyers offering to help anyone who needs the assistance and hang them up around town, or on your apartment building's bulletin board. You could end up getting a job being someone's personal grocery shopper, or their dog walker, you never know!

This summer will be what we all make of it, and finding a job might not be as futile as you think. Also, if you were working before the quarantine and then were unable to continue working, there are ways to file for unemployment and receive support from the government. Don't give up,