7 Struggles Only Girls With Thick Hair Will Understand

What Us Thick-Haired Ladies Have to Go Through On A Daily Basis

495

Okay girls, it's not so easy being us. Some people call us lucky and some people call us gifted. But what do we call ourselves? Cursed. Living with thick hair in some ways can be a blessing but in other ways can just be one big continual life struggle. However; the good thing is we are not in this alone, we all have things we can come together with and laugh about in the constant struggle it takes to be us.

1. Your Always the Last One Ready

Let's face it, ladies, it takes us quite a while to get ready. I remember someone asking me how much time I needed to get ready to go to a birthday party. When I responded with a solid two hours, they gave me a look like I had two heads. This struggle is especially for when you have to blow dry. There have been times I'll be blow drying my hair and my roommate gets fully ready for class in the amount of time it takes me to just blow dry my hair! Then after blow drying, because your hair now looks like a lion's mane, you have to straighten it by doing sections, which takes about another hour in itself.2. Breaking Hair Ties And Brushes Are The Norm For You

"Hey, can I borrow a hair tie?"

"Sorry, I just broke my last one."

This is probably a typical conversation for you. Whenever we want to put our hair into ponytails, we always have to be super delicate and slow in order to not hear the snap of shame. I know for me, the majority of my hair ties are one's that I have had to tie back together. The same thing goes for brushes. I remember one time I got a brush stuck in my hair so bad that both my dad and my uncle had to sit me down and try to rip it out. We probably go through more than a couple of brushes a year.

3. Hearing Your Hair Dresser Say "Woah, you have a lot of Hair."

Ok, as if you don't think I notice that already? It's so embarrassing sitting there watching the poor hair dresser breaking a sweat while trying to brush out your hair/birds nest of knots, after having it washed. Once you are all done and blow-dried you leave thinking that your hair dresser is a magician after the miracle he/she just performed on your hair. Then when you go home and follow the same blow drying steps as they did; it never turns out the same.

4. Brushing Your Hair Is a No No

This is especially for us curly haired ladies. People may think we don't have proper hygiene, but we don't have a choice! If we brush our hair, most likely it will look like we just walked out of a scene of an 80's movie and into the reality of 2015. Enduring the excruciating pain of brushing out our knots later on when we want to straighten it is worth it.

5. Cutting Your Hair Short Was A Big Mistake

You probably fell under the trap of thinking that when we cut our hair short things get easier. However, I'm here to tell you that things get harder. When we cut our thick hair it just seems to expand even wider. Now, wearing your hair natural is definitely off limits unless you are feeling an afro that day.

6. Our Hair Constantly Blocks People In Pictures

I'm pretty sure I even had someone tell me to put my hair down once. Everyone wants that dramatic wind blow to occur at the moment the photographer snaps a picture, but for us that dramatic wind blow is our enemy. We either end up whacking someone in the face with our giant head of hair or we end up with it in our eyes.

7. We Are Constantly Shedding

Oh, you thought that was just for dogs? That's funny. I'm pretty sure I shed more than my dog does. It almost scares us to watch all of that hair come out as we brush. However, the crazy thing is, you would think that with all the hair that you shed that your hair would be thinner by now, but it just seems to keep getting thicker.

Well, ladies, let's face it, we don't have it easy. Having thick hair is an ongoing struggle and takes a lot of work. However, I'm here to say we might just have it better than the others. We are struggling now, but in 70 years when all our friends are bald from losing hair, we will still have a luscious white head of hair.