7 Little-Known Facts About Alan Rickman

7 Little-Known Facts About Alan Rickman

Goodbye, Half-Blood Prince

295
7 Little-Known Facts About Alan Rickman
http://www.lancastertrust.com/

As most of you (if not all of you) know, the world recently lost one of the most talented and admired British actors of recent history, Alan Rickman. Today, I'm going to take some time to celebrate the life of one of our favorite wizards with seven little-known facts about Alan Rickman.

1. He Studied Graphic Art

Before launching his acting career, Rickman studied Graphic art Chelsea College of Art and Design, as well as at the Royal College of Art. He also ran a graphic art company for 3 years with some friends before leaving to try out acting.

2. His Father Died When He Was 8

After the death of his father, Rickman's mother was left to take care of Alan, his older brother David, younger brother Michael and younger sister Shelia, by herself. She remarried, but divorced his stepfather after 3 years. Alan later said that "There was one love in her life."

3. He Briefly Took Cello Lessons

For his part in the 1990 film Truly Madly Deeply, Rickman took cello lessons for his part. In the film, while the bowing hand is his, the left hand is the hand of a real cellist standing behind him.

4. He Was J.K Rowling's Concept of Snape

Not only was he the go-to actor for playing Snape, but Rowling herself has admitted to envisioning Rickman while writing the Harry Potter series.

5. He Failed His First Driving Test

When Rickman first took his driving test in California, he failed for "driving too cautiously through a green light"

6. He Was Known to Turn Down Film Roles

Rickman often turned down popular film roles in order to act onstage or in a theatre, which he often referred to as his "first love"

7. He Got Married in 2012 after a 47 Year Relationship

In 1965, when he was 19, Rickman began dating 18-year-old Rima Horton. The two moved in together in 1977, and Rickman confirmed that they were married in 2012 in a private wedding ceremony.