7 Creatures That Will Make You Want To Stay On The Shore

"Jaws" has nothing on these guys.

82
gemini-dragon-gifs

1. The Frilled Shark.

Otherwise known as "living fossils," the Frilled Shark can grow to be up to nearly seven-feet long. They're typically deep water creatures, but some have been spotted in the shallows near multiple areas including Japan, France, Brazil and New Zealand...Where I will not be.

2. The Pacific Viperfish.

I know it's only grows to be a foot long, but please keep it away from me. Its teeth can't even fit in its mouth!

3. The Diving Bell Spider.

Being the only spider known to live entirely underwater, do not expect me to be diving into any freshwater lakes and rivers anytime soon. (In case anyone is wondering, they are typically found in Northern and Central Europe, as well as parts of Northern Asia.)

4. The Irukandji Jellyfish.

AKA "The Common Kingslayer." I'll just let that sink in for a second...It is the smallest and most venomous box jellyfish, and it lives in the waters of Australia. One sting from this minuscule jellyfish, and you can suffer from a pain so great not even the maximum dosage of morphine can take the edge off. You can also have fatal brain hemorrhages from its poison.

5. The Giant Isopod.

The simple fact that these things grow to be about the same length as my leg is enough to keep me out of the deep end.

6. The Bobbit Worm.

These underwater worms can grow to be up to three-feet long, and are native to the warmer waters of the Atlantic and Indo-Pacific. (I will be wearing water shoes from this point on, should I be forced into the water.)

7. Sea Lamprey.

These parasitic fish act a lot like leeches by latching onto other fish and drinking their blood and fluids. These things can also attach themselves to humans, no problem. (My personal "nope" for the day.)

Bonus:

8. The Tomopteris Worm.

This just may coax me into the water. It only grows to be a little over an inch long, and it's probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while.