The 7 Best Foods Spots After 10 P.M. In Michigan

Places to stop for the late night snack.

14
Coney Detroit

If you're anything like me, you're a hardcore night owl. So are the majority of my college friends, which leads to a lot of late night food runs. For those of you that don't know me, I live in Detroit but go to school in Grand Rapids, so there's a decent selection of late night eats.

Sorry to all of those who don't live in Michigan, but if you ever visit the Great Lake State you'll know where to go. Now I know this is a highly debated topic, but here are my top seven choices.

Fair warning none of them are in any specific order or hierarchy other than simply being top 7:

1. Buffalo Wild Wings

A favorite for all age groups, Buffalo Wild Wings (BWWs) is the single greatest place for wings outside of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, their birthplace. My friends and I have a tradition that every night when we have to go register for next semester classes, we go to the BWWs near campus. Every single time, it's a blast. Good food. Good people. Good times.

2. Wendy's

I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for a frosty. I mean, it's a classic. Plus who doesn't like the Baconator? Back when I was a camp counselor (I did it for three summers), my co-counselors would go out to lunch and it was usually Wendy's or Taco Bell with the occasional pizza place. So one day we're at Wendy's and the cashier is taking my order and I told her I wanted a frosty and she asked me what flavor. I was completely confused. I had never known frosties to be any flavor other than chocolate. You might've been asking me if I wanted a lime-flavored banana; it just didn't make sense. She clarified that frosties were also available as vanilla flavored. My first instinct was to yell out "BLASPHEMY!!!" but I just said, "Oh, chocolate please."

3. Grand Coney

In Detroit, Coney Islands are almost a dime a dozen, you don't have to go far to find one. They're good don't get me wrong, but this one goes out to the one in Grand Rapids. See, I work the late night shift up at college and one night I got out at 3 in the morning. I was about ready to crash and sleep past noon. On my walk back through campus I got a text from a fellow co-worker who was just getting off his shift at another dorm. The conversation went something like this

"Hey bro, wanna go to Grand Coney?"

"Dude, it's three in the morning. I want to sleep."

"Ok, your loss. Spencer, Josh, Eric, and I are heading out in a few. You can join us if you like. We're taking my car in the east parking lot."

I had just hit that point where I was so tired that I was wide awake. I was just about to open the door to my own dorm when my stomach started whimpering. I just got paid that day and figured, what the hell. I got to Ryan's car just as he did. Keep in mind that Ryan has the smallest car I have ever seen, it barely squeezes four average sized people in. Now fit five practically full grown college guys in it. It was a clown car at best.

It was four in the morning by the time we turned around the last corner. It took us significantly longer to get there because it was the dead of winter and the roads were covered with ice. I figured there would be little to no people there. It was the middle of the night, in winter, on a Tuesday night. I couldn't have been more wrong. We pulled through the parking lot and there was only one small spot left. We had a ten minute wait because they were so full.

They had the best vanilla shake and chili dog I had ever had in my life. Now, this might've been because it was 4:30 in the morning and I was starving and sleep deprived, but I wasn't one to argue.

4. The Post

Shout out to the Post. If you're anywhere in Southeast Michigan/metro-Detroit then I would highly advise hitting up this gem of a restaurant. This place will have you salivating just looking at the menu. The chefs are excellent and the service is great. Family friendly and a great place to meet up with old or new friends, this is the place you want to be.

5. Taco Bell

I know some people really like Taco Bell and other despise it with a burning passion. Regardless of what you think of it, it's a viable option when you got the late night munchies. I'm a fan of the load grillers and quesaritos. Flashback to my second summer as a camp counselor. I had a co-worker who we'll call Mark. Mark was so excited for the quesarito, that it was all he talked about from the moment I met to a couple days after he had it. I didn't have a car then so I "hitch-hiked" with my co-workers to and from work and lunch. Then the day had finally come, the official release date of the quesarito.

Mark was jumping up and down in his seat and would talk a mile a minute about the quesarito. Eventually lunchtime came and we all went to Taco Bell to see Mark's reaction when he consumed his first quesarito. Everyone piled into their cars and I rode with Mark that day. Taco Bell wasn't even half a mile away but I must've heard him say quesarito at least a hundred times. At the only light we had to go through, he rolled down his window and at the top of his lungs screamed "QUESARITO!" into the small car next to him, unfortunately they had their windows down.

So we got there and everybody gets their food, and even though we're all ravenously hungry from a long morning of being chased by 60+ kids, all eyes are on Mark. His eyes are wide as he sinks his teeth into it for the first time. Approximately three seconds later, the whole thing was gone.

"Well?" Jake asked, "How is it?"

"Good, a little spicy, but good." We were expecting a full fledged review of everything and anything about it, but he was content with good. He proceed to chow down on a couple of tacos he had also gotten and that was the end of it.

6. Steak n' Shake

This place has the best variety and quality of shakes. They have great burgers, but the shakes are where it's at. They just outshine anything else, with the exception of a vanilla shake at four in the morning at Grand Coney. This place is great for the college kid's slim wallet. Some are open all night, some just till three. I think the latest I've ever gone to one was two. They have really good fries too. You got to check those out.

7. Gino's Pizza

Major shout out to Gino's! This place is in Grand Rapids, open till three in the morning with monster sized, reasonably priced delicious pizzas. My roommates and I got our first pizza from them early freshman year and have been loyal customers ever since. We're big fans of their two-foot pizza, it easily feeds the four of us usually with a couple of slices left over. Now, feast your eyes on this picture of my first Gino's pizza