6 Tips To Surviving This Political Climate

Because we all need a break from the negativity sometimes.

64
The Kirbas Institute

I'm going to be level with you guys: this political climate is a dumpster fire. If you've spent any amount of time on the internet, you know what I mean. Facebook flame wars, comment threads gone nuclear over Trump's policies as liberals and conservatives go at it like Roman gladiators. It's hard to go a day without being bombarded with articles about the new American fascist dictatorship and how this election means the end for American freedom. There are even classes on how to cope with the current political climate.

Whether you support or disagree with Trump, the rampant apocalyptic feeling and angry witch-hunting in U.S. politics today isn't good for anyone. Here are six tips to survive in this political climate.

1. Get away from your news source.

Whether that's the T.V., an email subscription, or notifications on your phone, turn it off. If you are one of those people who really wants to stay informed, limit yourself to fifteen or twenty minutes of browsing a day so you're not inundated with bad news all at once. It's all too easy to get sucked into the whirlpool of politics, and there's no shame in taking a break from it every once in a while to de-stress.

2. Find like-minded people.

While I don't advocate for isolating yourself totally from people who disagree with you, sometimes you just want to vent to a sympathetic ear without getting dragged into yet another political debate. Therefore, make sure you have a group of people whom you can bemoan the state of the world with.

3. Avoid arguing with people on the internet.

For the love of God, don't do it. Watching paint dry is more productive than arguing politics with anonymous strangers; you're not going to change their mind, and all you'll accomplish is working both of you up into a rabid froth. And especially don't do it on Facebook with friends or family. Save it for private messages if you must, but don't go attacking every single one of Cousin Johnny's anti-Trump memes. If you really can't stand it, that's what the "Unsubscribe" function is for.

4. Get a dose of positivity.

The news loves to paint everything like it's the end of the world, so it's no wonder it seems like everything is terrible. Seek out stories to remind yourself that there are a lot of genuinely good people out there. Here's Global News's Good Samaritan stories to get you started.

5. Work on improving yourself.

Changing the world starts with changing yourself. If you find yourself frustrated by backslides in the political arena, focus that determination inward: go to the gym. Learn a new language. Work on your hobby. Take care of your mental health. The best results will only come about if you are your best you.

6. Be the good you want to see in the world.

When you have the energy, call your representatives. Donate to a charity or political cause. Join a march or rally. Though it doesn't always seem like it, none of the advancements America has made in the past fifty years would have happened without people just like you speaking out and getting involved. And when there are enough of us screaming for change, it will happen.