6 Reasons Why Summer is Actually the Worst Seaon

Now that it's finally fall, it's time to talk about why summer is truly aweful

48

It’s finally officially fall, and you know what that means? Summer has finally come to an end! Sure, summer seems nice in theory: no school, warm weather, weekend barbecues; however, in reality summer is actually the worst season. Here’s why:

1. It's too darn hot.

Spring is nice because it is generally warm but not incredibly hot, whereas summer is just unbearably hot. The only thing worse than the summer heat is the occasional summer heat wave, in which you can’t take a step outside without wearing shoes because you feel like you’re walking across the fiery streets of Hell. Even winter is better than summer because even though winter is just the other extreme end of the spectrum (meaning that it is way too cold), at least when you feel too cold you can just put on another layer. During the summer when you feel too hot, you can only take off so many layers before being charged with public indecency.

2. You're away from your friends.

One of the many benefits of school is the socialization amongst other people your own age; this is especially true in college – where you are surrounded by practically nothing but people your own age. College is a great time for making close friendships with so many new people, which can make leaving for summer vacation difficult. This is especially true if you’re like me and you attend school far from home, essentially illuminating all chances of being able to visit your friends during the summer without taking an actual planned trip.

3. It's so difficult to be productive.

Every summer, I give myself a summer to-do list. I have yet to ever cross a single thing off one of my lists. The summer break can easily make one feel lazy and unproductive, preventing them from actually being able to get anything done. Whether it is summer homework assignments or self-assigned projects, it can be pretty difficult to get anything done when you’re in summer break mode.

4. Public places are crowded with kids who would normally be in school.

For students, summer often brings with it a great deal of free time. Businesses that are normally not very busy in the middle of the day are suddenly being flocked by kids with nowhere better to go (within walking distance, of course). But here’s the thing: it’s not just any kids; it’s middle schoolers. You can’t even go to your local coffee shop without being surrounded by middle schoolers, making you count down the days until school starts again and the kids aren’t all over town with their scooters in the middle of the day.

5. So. Many. Sunburns.

If you’re like me (unreasonably pale) you don’t get a tan when you spend time outside – you get sunburn. Going to the beach or spending the day outside means having to pack plenty of sunscreen to reapply throughout the day. Granted, you should be doing this regardless of whether or not you have fair skin, but when you have fair skin you have two options: (a) apply lots of sunscreen or (b) get lots of sunburns. As summer wears on, those of us with fair skins become more and more jealous of those who can get a nice tan instead of looking like a lobster as a result of spending twenty minutes outside.

6. The push for a "Summer Body."

Summer means swimsuits season and that means that suddenly everyone is judging each other based on how good they look in a swimsuit. What’s worse is the weeks leading up to summer when suddenly so many people are obsessed with getting in shape for the summer; it’s rather worrisome how many crazy and/or unhealthy methods are used by people trying to get that perfect “beach body.” Quite frankly, there’s only one way to get a “beach body” and that’s by following these steps:

1.Take your body to a beach

2. Congratulations! You have a beach body!

No, you don’t need to lose weight every summer just to appease the judgment of strangers. Whether you are well toned or you have some jiggle, every single body is a beach body.