6 Perks Of Coming Home For The Holidays

6 Perks Of Coming Home For The Holidays

Hint: it's not about the presents.

33
6 Perks Of Coming Home For The Holidays

Last semester feels like ages ago. All your grades are finalized, for better or for worse, and its finally time to indulge in a little relaxation. Luckily, the end of the semester also comes with a nation-wide return of college students back to their hometowns, where warm childhood beds and a ton of fresh, home-cooked meals are waiting. There are a lot of perks waiting in your old home, and the holidays are the perfect time to fully indulge in these comforts.

1. Home-cooked food

For most people lucky enough to have a dog as a part of their family, coming home is a chance to be reunited with their favorite furry siblings. College may be fun, but it certainly lacks in slobbery kisses. I could watch my dogs play together for hours, and they're the one thing I would brave the cold for. They like the cold weather a lot more than I do, but nothing would stop me from taking them on all the walks they deserve. When they're happy, I'm happy.

3. Spending time with your siblings

Although it doesn't take long for you to start getting on each others' nerves, you also both have to admit you missed each other. Coming home for the holidays is a great opportunity to spend some quality time with each other - whether that's Christmas shopping for Mom or building a kick-ass gingerbread house with her friends.

4. Reuniting with the high-school squad

One of the best parts of being home for the holidays is that all your best group of friends

from high school is usually home at that same time, too. Whether you spend the day going Christmas shopping without ever really buying anything, or if you spend all night playing board games in someone's basement just like old times, it never really matters what you're doing -- it's just nice to have the group back together.

5. Holiday feels

For me, the holidays are largely connected to being home with my family. When I think of celebrating Christmas, I think of being in my childhood home with our mis-matched tree, a fire in the fireplace, and old-timey holiday music as background noise. When I'm not home for the holidays, it just doesn't feel quite like how Christmas should.

6. Knowing I'm loved

Some of the things I look forward to most are the little acts of kindness my family does to show me they care, and the ones I can do in return. Having my dad gas up my car before a long drive just so that it's one less thing I have to worry about is the kind of loving holiday spirit that extends year-round. Spending quality time together is a great way to reunite after a long semester apart.