6 Fun Things To Do After NaNoWriMo

6 Fun Things To Do After NaNoWriMo

Give yourself that well-earned break you've needed all month.

12
6 Fun Things To Do After NaNoWriMo
Sports HD Images

Congratulations! You've made it to the end of National Novel Writing Month, and your pretty little 50k+ word novel is rearing to go. But before you settle in on the edits, allow yourself to take a step back. It's important to let your novel rest for a bit before you pick it back up and start working it again. In the spirit, then, of preventing immediate editing, here are six things you can do with your newfound free time that aren't NaNo, but are still fun to do.

1. Make some desserts

Almost everyone loves sweets, and there's no better time to make them than with the holidays around the corner. If you're getting restless and feel like editing your novel, try perfecting your peppermint mocha pound cake recipe first.

2. Pick up a new hobby

Last year post-NaNo, I took up arm knitting. There are many cheap, easy hobbies like this that require few supplies and can be learned via YouTube videos. Do some research and find what interests you, whether it's knitting, calligraphy, or even whittling.

3. Binge a television show

This December, I plan to binge watch Season 3 of "The 100," since it was just posted on Netflix. There are plenty of shows you can watch on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and if you don't have paid subscriptions to those services, you can always watch regular television or a YouTube series like "The Lizzie Bennett Diaries" or "Carmilla." You could also get into foreign shows through websites like Dramafever and Viki if you're in the mood for something new.

4. Rearrange your house

I like to take my post-NaNo free time to organize my life, which means mostly cleaning and also some rearranging. Sometimes, putting that armchair at a slight angle makes all the difference in the world.

5. Read!

Everyone knows you have to be a good reader to be a good writer, and since you've already done a month of writing, why not add to your expertise by reading?

6. Sleep

If you're anything like me, sleep is sacrificed in the name of NaNo (and family holiday time, and travelling, and homework), so prioritize your extra time towards naps, and your body will thank you.

These are just a few things you can do with your free time after NaNo, and they are all fun and relaxing activities that can help counteract both the urge to edit and the stress of November. So relax and treat yourself and your novel to a well-deserved break this December.