5 Things Said To Me As An Out-of-State College Student That Made Me Laugh

"Are you sure you aren't from Alabama?"

89

As most people know, I am not originally from Michigan, but rather north central Indiana.

This comes with its drawbacks to say the least - from people not knowing what the heck you're talking about, to me know knowing what the heck they're talking about.

This makes for quite funny conversations between me and my Michigan friends.

1. "Your accent is soooooo cute!"

I get this more than anything. Even professors coax me to talk just so they can hear my "accent." I'll admit, many people have the beautiful Canadian accent which I love more than anything so I guess I can understand their astonishment. What I don't get is some people legit think I'm from Alabama. Come on people on only 3 hours south!

2. "Wait. Big Boy isn't just in Austin Powers?"

Okay I'll admit, this dumb statement was none other than my own. I know, so stupid, but back where I live we don't have Big Boys. So I never saw one except in Austin Powers so I thought is was made up. My friends still won't let me live this down, but can I really blame them?

3. "I'm so excited for Sugar Cream Pie at Thanksgiving." "What on Earth is that??"

This one legit hurt my heart. Absolutely no one knew what the hell I was raving about. This in turn caused me to bring a pie back with me from the holidays to show these 'Michiganders' what they were missing out on. Yes it's basically all sugar and will rot your teeth, but that stops no one and makes it that more delicious.

4. "So are you a U of M fan or an MSU fan?"

This is what I found so strange and what really made me realize we weren't in Indiana anymore. Here, there's basically 2 popular colleges: University of Michigan and Michigan State. Of course there's other colleges people root for but back home I feel like there's so many other popular colleges. You got Purdue, IU, Notre Dame, Ball State, Butler, IUPUI, and many others. So cutting it down to 2 teams was weird to say the least.

5. "Do you hate living in Michigan now?"

I definitely do not hate it! Sure, the unpredictable weather and distance between me and a Ray's Drive-In Tenderloin sandwich sucks at points but I love it up here. I've met some of my best friends up here, figured out what I want to do for the rest of my life, and made connections to last me a lifetime. Will I live here when I graduate? Probably not, but will I bring my future family up here for vacation? Most definitely.