The 5 Stages of Grief: As Told by a TV Fan

What to Do When Your Favorite TV Show Lets You Down

17

It can be cool to live in an era in which any show beloved by enough people gets a reboot. How exciting it is to see all your favorite characters together again! It can be such a fun trip down memory lane, another chance to get back in the saddle with the kids you grew up watching. However, sometimes, the characters you once loved have changed for the worse and relationships you never wanted to happen, happen. You know those two should have never gotten together, so why are they? This article goes out to all those people whose favorite show has broken their heart.

1. Denial

So let’s say you start a show and you become attached quickly. It’s happened to everyone. Every single character makes you smile and laugh and cry and you relate to their problems. Then one episode they do the unthinkable. You know this character because this character is you. Then, she has the nerve to break her promise or lie to another character. You’re shocked, you’re hurt. Immediately you backpedal. It’s a dream sequence, she’ll apologize in the next episode! As denial sets in, you refuse to believe your favorite show could do this to you.

2. Anger

You’re furious. The series has ended and the character has yet to apologize. The person you once loved is now dead to you. You wish they could have been killed off...no wait, you don’t mean that. In your anger, you forget any other good merits of the show as a whole. Who is responsible for the writing? You begin to question everything you once believed and are actually glad the show is over.

3. Bargaining

That’s it. The show is over and there are no more episodes. You can’t be mad because the emptiness in your heart is deep and painful. You look up Kickstarters, tweet at the producers, do anything to get another season. Your characters deserve more. You deserve more. You begin to spiral out of control, obsessing over that perfect ending. Finally, you get your reunion special.

4. Depression

...And it sucks. The show was never that great to begin with. Whatever you saw in those characters clearly isn’t there anymore. You sink deeper into your sadness. It would have been better if you had just quit after the final season. You should have never asked for the reunion anyway. You bet half the characters hate each other and the writers hearts aren’t even in it.

5. Acceptance

You move on. You find another show and fall in love again. This new show will never hurt you in the way the other one did. To be honest, you can’t blame the show. The actors were way too old, the script was convoluted and the plot was trite. Your new show has fresh characters with deep motivations and relationships you’re actually invested in. You move on, and secretly hope for a reunion that does the show justice.