5 Spooky Films to Watch During Girls' Night

It's time to round up your ghoul gang.

1156
Image via Columbia

It's October, my friends. Do you know what that means? It's time to get caught up on the spooky film classics that have always been on your must-watch list. Round up your ghoul gang, stock up on Halloween candy, and track down these five festive flicks.

1. The Craft

Even though the Sanderson Sisters might hold the title of "Baddest Witches in Town," I think Nancy's clique in "The Craft" takes a close second. When leading lady Sarah starts at a new high school, she falls into a crowd of teenage witches and things go haywire. Pop some popcorn, bring out the Ouija Board, and summon your ladies to watch the film that defined my short-lived goth phase.

2. Ginger Snaps

Are you tired of dudes getting all of the teenage werewolf glory? Same here. "Ginger Snaps" flips the script when sixteen-year-old Ginger gets bitten by a werewolf and starts having some serious issues. As someone who deplores the look of CGI, this movie is full of ultra-freaky practical effects that are both scary and impressive. Move over "Teen Wolf," Ginger is the raddest of them all.

3. Evil Dead

The "Evil Dead" remake is about fighting demons both figuratively and literally. As a huge fan of the original Evil Dead franchise, there is something super exciting about watching chainsaw-wielding Mia fill Ash's shoes in the fight against darkness. Just a warning: This film is not for anyone squeamish at gore. There are plenty of cringeworthy moments that will make you glad that you're in your house/apartment/dorm room and not in an isolated cabin in the woods (no matter how cool it sounds). If you can make it to the end, I promise you and your friends will be cheering on Mia from the sidelines.

4. Scream

"Scream" is not only one of my favorite October movie picks, but it's one of the horror films that I hold dearest. I'll spare you any spoilers by not outing the best parts; however, "Scream" is a razor-sharp commentary on "scary movies" in general. If you're looking for a strong female character to get you inspired this fall, Sidney has "badass" status in my book. The Ghost Face killer never stood a chance.

5. Hocus Pocus

To end your Halloween season, I advise inviting your entire crew over to indulge in a viewing of "Hocus Pocus." The Sanderson Sisters are the fiercest ghoul gang of them all, wreaking havoc in Salem, Mass. after being brought back on Halloween. If you've never seen "Hocus Pocus," stop reading this article now. No, really. I need you to prioritize seeing this film over anything I have to say.