5 Reasons Why Summer Classes Rock

5 Reasons Why Summer Classes Rock

The short, hot nights spent studying are over, but they weren't so bad while they lasted.

5
5 Reasons Why Summer Classes Rock
Hofstra Career Center

As summer comes to a close and the fall semester looms ahead, I'm finally getting some (I believe) well-deserved rest. I've been taking a physics class this summer -- in fact, I just took my final this past week, and now I'm just waiting for grades to come out. While I wait, I may as well tell you why I did it, and why you might consider doing the same.

1. It helps you get ahead.

I personally needed to take this class so I could finish my physics sequence on time, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't have regretted taking this class. I'm not new to summer classes, and, let me tell you, there's nothing quite like looking at a dwindling checklist of required classes.

2. You get to focus!

Sure, summer classes cram a whole semester's worth of classes into two months or less, so it can seem overwhelming from the outside. But you're not taking as many classes as you would in a full semester -- people usually take only one or two -- and you get to focus on a couple of subjects rather than four or five.

3. It's just less stressful.

Again, you're focusing on fewer subjects, rather than having to think about several different topics at once. You might be taking classes and working out your brain, but, let's admit it, it's likely that you still have a bit of "summer brain," so it's probably good that you don't have too much to worry about. Summer classes can also leave you with more time during the academic year, too, since you probably won't have to take a full course load. Go on, take the minimum number of credits during the semester -- you deserve it.

4. Summer classes tend to be easier.

This can be a double-edged sword if you're taking your major classes, but because there's so little time to learn everything, professors tend to skip or gloss over some topics, while taking some depth out of others. If you really need to learn the material, you can do it in your own time, but the lack of depth and omission of certain topics will certainly make those tests easier and those grades higher.

5. It gives you something to do.

Sure, you could be sleeping in or relaxing some other way, but school gives your day structure. I don't know about you, but I know that I become a total Hot Mess™ when I don't have something external and mandatory (like school) scheduled into my day. School gives me a real schedule that I'm obligated to follow, and it gives me something to do when otherwise I'd be likely to sleep half the day and roll around in bed for the rest.

So yeah, it sucks seeing your friends travel and hang out and generally have a good time while you're staying up doing homework or cramming for an exam. You could be working to pay for things besides your summer tuition, or applying for really cool internships. And those are all wonderful things to do. But summer classes aren't as dreadful as they sound, and, when you get down to it, taking a class is one of the most productive ways you can spend your summer. Why not try it out?