5 Reasons Why I can't Buy Into The Pokemon Go! Hype

It's not quite what it's cracked up to be.

8
www.independent.co.uk

5. It features the least interesting 150 Pokemon, with no mega evolutions

The last time I was excited to catch Kanto Pokemon was FireRed version, and even then, I found myself using few of them when I transferred them to another game.

These are the introductory Pokemon, base pokemon if you will. They barely stack up against the later entries in the series, because those entries built off their predecessors. Pokemon Go! is like going back to square one.

4. Phone emulators can't handle it

Yes, I lack a modern phone, but that doesn't stop me from using apps. However, even with a modern phone, it won't save you from how many times the game's servers crash.

I expect this kind of stuff from Ubisoft or EA, not Nintendo. At least the in-game models still have their skin, unlike a certain Assassin's Creed title at launch.

3. The RPG battle system is missing

As a fan of the Pokemon version series, this is a huge let down. It seems that battles are won by furiously tapping the screen, reminiscent of a Nintendo DS launch title than a modern Pokemon game.

For fans of Go!, this is fine, but as a fan of the other games, this one might be a deal breaker for me.
2. Driving with Go! is a process

I personally don't have a car, so I would experience Go! primarily through walking, which would cause me to miss a lot of gyms and pokestops. However, even if I had a vehicle, playing this game on the Go! would be a hassle.

Because of the various events that could happen while in the car, the game demands that you have someone else operate the app while you your eyes on the road. Call them a designated player.

While it is possible to play Go! while driving, it is very dangerous, and not recommended.

1. The heartbreaking news stories

From car accidents to players finding dead bodies to the weird culture of Pokemon Go! nudes (unfortunately a thing), to the app being parodied by Donald Trump, it is the real life stories and media spin that has killed my hype for this app.

There are plenty of accounts of Go! bringing people together and getting people outside, but it makes me really wonder if it's doing more harm than good.