5 Reasons You Need To Travel Abroad

5 Reasons You Need To Travel Abroad

It will give you memories and experiences of a lifetime!

30
5 Reasons You Need To Travel Abroad
UPenn

Traveling is beautiful thing and something that everyone should do at some point in their life. It's never too late. Although traveling within the United States is rewarding and unique, traveling abroad is even more spectacular. Whether you visit a neighboring country or one that is half way across the globe from you, the experience you will have will be much different from the United States. Here are five reasons that will hopefully persuade you into taking the time to explore new places.

1. Experience

Although this may seem like a basic and obvious reason to travel abroad it's one of the most important, especially for me. No matter where you go or how long you stay, you left your comfort zone and tried something new. You took the chance to explore a new place and nothing is as brave as that.

2. Culture Appreciation

One of the greatest things that comes from traveling abroad is the different cultures you become exposed to. Culture is such a broad term that has so many branches that come with it; food, religion, language, music, etc.. Yet some how once you experience these from a particular country, even if it is your only time, you automatically begin to appreciate the rest of the world and the different people that comprise it.

3. Food

Each country has their "it" dish, which may be something so different than what you are used to but that is okay. The fact is, you get to experience an authentic cuisine while partaking in a great experience.

4. Exposure

Getting out of the United States or wherever your home country may be is a great thing every once in a while. It allows you to put your "everyday" life behind you, work, drama, politics, routines etc., for a short amount of time and enjoy the new place you are in. Being exposed to a new environment educates you in so many ways even if it's just emerging yourself in the culture.

5. Authenticity

When you go to a new country what you see is what you will get. You're no longer looking through a magazine, a blog, social media accounts, photos, or browsing the internet. No one is there writing you their opinion about the place you are in. No one is telling you how great or how bad it is. It's all up to YOU. YOU decide whether you will enjoy your time there. YOU decide whether you will enjoy it to the fullest. YOU decide whether you will make memories to last a life time. NOBODY else.

It is these exact reasons that I love traveling abroad so much. Yes you can go to a different state and see their ways of lives and then come back home to your state with everlasting memories, but in the end you stayed in the country and weren't exposed to the various cultures that make up the world. Don't get me wrong, even though growing up in New York City has definitely shaped me as the person I am today because it has exposed me and has allowed me to partake in so many different cultures and groups of people, and I am forever grateful for that, however, there is still nothing as authentic and fulfilling as going abroad and emerging yourself into a different way of life and culture.