5 Reasons To Watch The new Grinch Movie This Holiday Season
Film

5 Reasons The New 'Grinch' Is A Must-See Movie, Even If You're A Fan Of The Other Two

A new and unique twist on a classic tale that all should enjoy.

131
the grinch

When I was growing up every year we would watch the old cartoon of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," and yes it was old, but it was a classic. As I got older the tradition changed into me watching the Jim Carey version every year — and it quickly became one of my favorite Christmas movies. It added to the story by bringing it to life and giving dramatic backstory mixed in with laughs for days. And the older I've gotten, the more I've realized I relate to Jim Carey as the Grinch on a spiritual level.

I was weary when I saw the trailer for the new "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." I thought, were they really making another one? And more than that, aren't we going back in time with animating it again? Yet, I went and watched it and honestly, I really liked it — and here's why:

1. It Wasn't The Same Story 

Source

Yes, it is the classic tale of the Grinch with a heart two sizes too small, but it was really creative the way that it weaved together new plot lines and introduced new characters that really tug at your heartstrings. Overall, there was some unexpected within the same lovable story, and I loved the new angles.

2. Development of Cindy Lou and Her Family 

In the previous versions, we never really meet or get to know Cindy Lou's family and in each version the family has looked a little different. In this version, you get to see inside the family, and her mom actually plays a significant role in the movie. I loved the new family angle and the version of a single mom taking care of her kids during the holidays.

3. New Music 

Source

The movie did a good job of spicing up old classics and had a really great scene with animated Pentatonix Whos' singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." It made the movie more fun with modern R&B versions of classics and some good jamz.

4. More Max and New Fred 

Source

Another thing I really loved about this version was getting to see even more of Max. He is truly the MVP of the movie and is just so darn good; even animated, I just want to cuddle him. There also was the introduction of a pet reindeer, Fred, who we meet during the movie. Both of these pets are so loveable. And, the Grinch's care and love for these animals shows that even with his icy exterior and bah-humbugness, there are some things he still really does care about.

5. The Deeper Message 

Source

As I've said I've known the story of the Grinch as long as I can remember, but one thing I thought this movie did a really good job of explaining was why the Grinch was the way he was. It tells the story of how he was in an orphanage and at Christmas time he would see everyone with their families all happy and be reminded that he didn't have a family. I think this movie did a great job of showing that there are reasons some people don't like Christmas — and why the holidays can be hard for people without loved ones. The Grinch just wants to feel love like all of us, and he struggles with the depression that the holidays can bring when you just don't feel happy. This movie does a good job of portraying this and showing how we can still welcome in and love those that feel like this. Christmas is the season of love, and it is important to show that love to everyone far and wide — whether they're related to you or not. And as the movie shows, that's what Christmas is really all about!