5 Reasons To Listen To Podcasts

5 Reasons To Listen To Podcasts

Podcasts are the cure for boredom.

1474
5 Reasons To Listen To Podcasts
Holly Rushton via Marketing Cloud

Podcasts are essentially an Internet-based non-live radio that can be listened to on the go and for free. The Apple Podcast app is the main source for streaming podcasts.

Podcasts are pretty much audio television, meaning that you can listen to a radio show of any genre and on any subject. Podcasts usually air weekly, so it's easy to get a weekly fix on your favorite radio! I'm in love with podcasts, and I want you to be too. Here are my top five reasons for loving podcasts:

1. Great source of information

Depending on the type of podcast you listen to, you can acquire a great deal of knowledge on a vast number of subjects.

From Arts to TV and Film, you can learn facts on practically any subject. A popular educational podcast is Freakonomics Radio, hosted by the co-author of the best-selling book "Freakonomics."

2. Comedy

Listening to a comedy podcast is like watching a sitcom without having to pay attention to the TV screen. Sometimes it's nice to just listen to easy-listening material and relax. Kick back and listen to a hilarious discussion, such as The Joe Rogan Experience, without having to think.

3. Better way to pass time than listening to music

Podcasts are my go-to for car rides. I just returned from a 5 day road trip, and I can assure you that I wouldn't have survived the 13 hour drive home without my favorite podcast, My Favorite Murder. For me, listening to people talk makes the time pass much quicker than listening to music. Also, spending long stretches of time listening to something interesting that will teach you something is better than being alone with your thoughts.

4. They can keep you company

If you're alone and could use some company, turn on a podcast. This suggestion probably seems a little sad, but honestly if you're feeling lonely, podcasts can help fill that void. I find that hearing people talk is much less alienating than listening to music alone. For some, hearing people chat unnerves them, but it does the opposite for me. A podcast that offers a laid-back conversation is best for times like these. My go-to easy-listening podcast is Mad About Movies, three guys discussing recently released films.

5. Perfect for those who don't like to read or prefer audiobooks

If you like fiction but aren't interested in reading, or you don't have time to read, there are storytelling podcasts available to suit your fancy. Unlike almost all audiobooks, the majority of podcasts are free! Granted, some podcasts require a subscription for a low monthly fee, but those are few and far between. Tune in and listen to almost any podcast for no cost or hassle. Many podcasts such as Alice Isn't Dead are sagas that tell a new part of a story each week. These are awesome for binge-listening.