5 Stand-Up Comedians On Netflix You Should Be Watching

One click of a button and you have entered the realm of Netflix Stand-up specials.

237
Comedy Central

Netflix is a wonderful streaming service that allows us to sit endlessly in front of a screen. While Netflix is great for binge watching TV shows, there is a part of Netflix that some people don’t know about. When you enter your Netflix account, scroll over to the “Browse” drop down menu on the upper left-hand side. At the very end of the list of genres to choose from, there is this great little selection called “Stand-up & Talk Shows”. Here is where you will find the funniest people on Netflix. Click that button and enter the realm of Netflix Stand-up specials. Since some of you may be new to this part Netflix, I have some recommendations to get you started on your journey into belly-hurting laughter.

1. John Mulaney

My all-time favorite comedian. He is a great comedian to start with. His jokes are timed perfectly and they incredibly well-coordinated. Everyone can relate to at least one of his jokes, but I’m sure you will enjoy more than just that. Begin with his 2012 special, “New In Town”, where he talks about growing up in Chicago, dating, drinking, not drinking, and other life stories. If you finish “New In Town” and are dying for more, check out his other special, “The Comeback Kid”. Also, you can check out his and Nick Kroll’s Broadway show recording, “Oh, Hello”. After watching all of these, if you still crave more John, you can buy tickets for his “Kid Gorgeous” tour that begins in January.

2. Bo Burnham

Bo Burnham brings in aspects of music to his comedy specials. Some of his jokes are a bit cruder, but they are hilarious. If you enjoy a little self-deprecating humor as well, this is the comedian for you. His comedy draws from emotions which are very clear in both of his specials. Also, I highly recommend starting with his special, “What.” Before watching “Make Happy”. Both are very good, but if you want to understand his humor a little better, start with “What.”.

3. Donald Glover

His comedy special is titled “Weirdo”, which suits the special very well. It is a compellation of some of his life stories. He takes you through growing up with his parents raising him and his siblings along with foster children. He talks about children's obsession with sugar and also how incredibly awful children are. I know that sounds terrible, but I swear Donald Glover makes it sound hilarious! He is a definite must watch.

4. Iliza Shlesinger

If you are into women empowerment, this comedian is probably good for you. Iliza has several specials out on Netflix currently, my favorite being “Confirmed Kills”. Her humor is sharp and witty and very relatable. She describes her life as a woman in a way that has the audience dying of laughter with every joke.

5. Chris D'Elia

I love comedians who start telling a joke, then they start laughing because they know the joke is funny and they just can’t wait for other people to laugh and the feeling is just so great they burst out laughing. Chris D’Elia is that comedian. His comedy style is slightly crude but he speaks his mind and he does not care about any judgment the audience may have for him. I suggest starting with his special, "Man on Fire", which is my personal favorite.

These comedians are sure to make you laugh. They also discuss mature topics so be advised when watching with a younger audience. Children probably should not watch these comedians. Enjoy binge watching comedians! I hope you find a favorite amongst the many stand-up specials. Start laughing more!