5 Lessons I Have Learned In College

5 Lessons I Have Learned In College

College isn't all about partying

22
5 Lessons I Have Learned In College

Throughout your four years in college, everyone will come across lessons that they have learned. Whether they are good or bad, they impact us and help us grow as people. Although my four years aren't finished yet, here are five lessons that have changed both my college experience and myself along the way.

1. College Taught Me How To Dream

Now that we are away from the comfort of home, we now have more of a chance to dream. College is a place that doesn't stop us from dreaming, but instead pushes us to reach our dreams. I've seen many people who have had the wildest dreams go out and reach them. Want to be the editor-in-chief of the school newspaper? Do you dream of being the starting player for a varsity sports team? Want to take center stage in a theatre production? College is the place for you to reach your dreams.

2. College Taught Me How To Create Opportunities

Although we all have dreams, we don't always have opportunities. Opportunities are not always going to fall into your lap; therefore, you must be able to create opportunities. At this point in life, most of us are at the bottom of the totem pole, AKA we are the bottom of the bottom. We are not going to be able to immediately get a good position at a respectable company with a high paying salary (unless we are extremely lucky). Knowing this fact, we must learn that we have to build ourselves up in order to get ourselves to where we want to be after college. Whether this means an unpaid internship or a boring job, creating opportunities is crucial to becoming our better selves.

3. College Taught Me How To Manage Time

So, you're telling me I have to manage eating, going to classes, sleeping, doing my school work, having a social life, participating in extracurriculars, taking care of my mental health, AND doing my laundry all by myself?! Managing all of these activities throughout the day is extremely important to survive in college. At first, it might seem extremely stressful; however, I eventually formatted a routine, which helped me to accomplish all my goals.

4. College Taught Me How To Be Responsible

Managing your time goes along with responsibility. College teaches you how to be responsible and it helps you learn that it's okay to say no to going out with your friends when you have a huge test the next day. The boatload of responsibilities on our plates helps us grow and prioritize our hours throughout the day.

5. College Taught Me How To Have Fun

Although college is full of responsibilites and studying, you can't forget that sometimes you need to go out and have fun with your friends! Making sure that you have time for yourself is a neccessity to stay alive in college.