4 Things You Should Consider When Responding To #BlackLivesMatter

“This is not a black issue, this is an American Issue”

13
Black Lives Matter

The things I want to say on this matter are echoes of many things that have already been said, so my goal with this article is mainly to direct you to some other articles written by people who know how to say these things more eloquently than I can. These are the same things that black people and their allies or comrades have been saying for years and years and years, but it’s become apparent that we have to keep saying these things. We must continue to speak up, because bigotry is clearly still rampant in our so-called “land of the free."

1. Individual and systemic racism are the base of this issue.

The unfortunate truth is that racism and systemic racism are alive and well. Civil rights are still continuously being compromised at the hands of the law. It is important to realize the effects racism has had on the lives of people of color and to acknowledge that change needs to happen, and soon.

2. Pro-Black Lives Matter and anti-police are not the same thing.

There are lots of police who are honorable and just doing their jobs. Police are important, and they’re here to protect us, most of the time. Killing innocent policemen is not the goal of the Black Lives Matter movement, just as the goal of most police is not to kill innocent people of color. That however does not by any means justify the argument that anti-black police brutality is not an incredibly huge issue.

3. But in the case of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile and far too many others, the police acted in inhumane ways.

The victims were robbed of their lives for minor infractions for which they were not given so much as a chance to prove themselves innocent. When it comes to gun rights, black people are The Second Amendment's second-class citizens. Death was cruel and unusual punishment for the victims of these senseless shootings, yet because of the flawed justice system in our country, the cops who have shot these men down will go free. It’s just wrong.

4. Black Lives Matter is a movement striving for equal rights.

From the Black Lives Matter official website:
“#BlackLivesMatter is working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. We affirm our contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.” …
“We are committed to embodying and practicing justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.”

Black Lives Matter is a movement based on equality. A good analogy: BLM supporters are striving for equality with white Americans in the same way feminists strive to be equal with men. It’s an issue of basic unalienable rights. Consider that you may be misunderstanding the goals of the movement.

All lives matter, but black lives are the ones who need to know that they matter at this point in our nation’s rollercoaster of a history. All lives won't matter until black lives matter. I strongly urge you to read not only the links I have shared in this article but also read the primary sources behind these movements, read articles, read everything. Being educated is key to productive discussion and productive discussion is the key to change.