To The Incoming College Freshman, Stop And Smell The Roses
Life Stages

Enjoy it before it is too late.

51

The other night my roommate and I were sitting in bed reminiscing. We were talking about how in three weeks we will be sophomores in college. SOPHOMORES. It was just yesterday we were moving in, getting all of our stuff perfectly placed in our new 12ft by 10ft dorm room, and saying goodbye to our parents.

They warned us about how quickly it would go, but we were never prepared for it to go this fast.

So to the incoming freshman, if I had one piece of advice - stop and smell the roses.

I get it, you're excited. You are sick of high school (trust us, we all were), and finally freedom seems so close yet so far.

You got this just a couple more weeks and then you're out.

You have probably committed to a school or have a pretty good idea of where you're going. You're buying your comforter, printing pictures for the walls, and agreeing on what rug to get with your roommate. It all seems so exciting and trust us, it is.

You will enjoy the summer, hang out with friends for the last time, eat your last couple home cooked meals for a while and eventually pack up that car to the point it could burst.

You finally get to your school, move in all your stuff, and say goodbye to your parents and siblings. The next time you see them you will be 1/4 done with freshman year.

The first day is going to seem intimidating. Where do I go? Can I sit here? Will I meet people? Are the questions rambling through your brain right now.

After getting lost a couple times, meeting a couple people and learning what meals are good in the dining hall and when to get McDonalds, you will finally be in the grove of college.

But do not let the grove keep you from enjoying where you are right now.

You are at an incredible school with incredible friends. Enjoy it!

Go get that meal with a new person you met in biology. Go shopping with your roommate and buy that shirt for that party you will probably never go to. Go on that date. Go to that sporting event. Create a club. Become the president of a club. Take pictures, a lot of pictures. But through everything remind yourself you will never get these moments again. Sometimes that is for the best, sometimes it's not. But at the end of the day enjoy every good and bad moment.

College is a time for creating yourself and who you want to be. It is a time for exploring new places, passions and experiences. It is one of the only times in your life you are your own person in every way possible. Create yourself, make a friend and have fun.

Take in every moment and just be grateful. Because before you know it - you'll be packing up and you'll be the sophomore too.

Love,

The college freshman who should have smelt the roses more