You, My Service Dog and So Much More
Dating

An Open Letter To My Service Dog, Dallas

To the cutest dog I ever knew.

123
Melissa Garcia

I didn't think I was ready for a dog but hey what did I know? Your dad and I chose to do a doggy day out with the Bangor Humane Society and he suggested we take you out, little did we know that this was a new beginning for us and most importantly for you. You had been in the shelter for so long and we just could not understand why. You were smart and gentle and oh so cute!

We really did not want to bring you back at the end of our day with you, so we told the staff that we were looking to adopt you once it was our time to bring you back and needless to say they were thrilled but we did have to wait until noon the next day to take you home. Those hours waiting for you seemed like the longest time I had to wait for anything but they were incredibly worth it. We have had you for months now, a year in June! and we have fallen more and more in love with you each day, from your cuddles to being randomly kissed by you, to the funny little underbite of yours you have our hearts. You have proven to be such a wonderful and loving companion and I wouldn't trade you for anything in this world. Thank you for being my very best friend Dallas!

Melissa Garcia

Not only are you my best friend, the training you to be my service dog is my biggest struggle yet. The thing I care about most. Even as an emotional support animal you help me more and more every day, When I was still at the University of Maine you help me through panic attacks by letting me lay on you to regulate my breathing, Climbing into my lap when I just can't seem to find my grounding,You've been such a loyal and trusting companion. No one ever said it would be easy and we have a long way to go but my hope is that one day you will be able to have you fully trained and you and I can continue learning from each other for the rest of your life and I can't wait to continue on this journey not only is your mother but the person that relies on you.