27 Songs for Summer

27 Songs for Summer

Whatever your summer day looks like, here's a playlist to follow you from sunrise to sunset

15
27 Songs for Summer
Invisible Creature

Now that summer’s here it’s time for pool parties and hot, sticky days with cold, sticky ice cream. It’s time for baseball games and air conditioning. Ripped shorts and two dollar sunglasses. Deep tan lines and hot, sandy toes. Waves lapping at the beach and squawking seagulls and lost flip flops. Adventure books under the shade of a tree. The rustling of leaves on a bright, sunny day. Picnic blankets made from bed sheets and sticky, slurping watermelon. Mosquitoes and sweat and heavy hiking boots. Sweet smelling flowers and quick, tricky wasps. Slip n’ slides and pickup truck rides. Hair whipping in the wind, arms wide out the window. Lazy days with lazy movies. Summer storms with big, fast drops that hit the ground like cement and flashes and cracks that grumble and boom. Road trips and road kill. Cool summer nights and tart lemonade with drops of condensation sliding down the glass. Crackling bonfires and browning marshmallows. Smoke in your eyes, sparklers in your hand. It’s time for friends that laugh and run and talk under big fluffy clouds that look like dinosaurs. Whatever your summer day looks like, here’s a playlist to follow you from sunrise to sunset.

1. Geronimo, Sheppard
  2. Young Volcanoes, Fall Out Boy
  3. The Phoenix, Fall Out Boy
  4. My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up), Fall Out Boy
  5. Supremacy, Muse
  6. Victorious, Panic! at the Disco
  7. Warriors, Imagine Dragons
  8. The Quest, Bryn Christopher
  9. Wake Me Up, Avicii
  10. Broken Arrows, Avicii
  11. I Bet My Life, Imagine Dragons
  12. Electric Love, BORNS
  13. Tear In My Heart, Twenty One Pilots
  14. Quesadilla, Walk the Moon
  15. Delilah, Florence + The Machine
  16. Dog Days Are Over, Florence + The Machine
  17. We Are Golden, Mika
  18. Left Hand Free, alt-J
  19. My Body, Young the Giant
  20. Hold My Tongue, Sheppard
  21. Safe and Sound, Capital Cities
  22. Animal, Miike Snow
  23. Breezeblocks, alt-J
  24. Madness, Muse
  25. Never Let Me Go, Florence + The Machine
  26. Come Sail Away, Styx
  27. Take Your Time (Coming Home), Fun.

Keeping true to the summer vibe, the majority of songs are upbeat and fast. However, as the day progresses, the songs melt from one feeling to the next, starting out loud and hard and blissfully engrossed in life then ending on a softer, more content note as the sunset fades to dusk. So, let your summer be everything from "Geronimo" to "Take Your Time," and, most importantly, nothing like the music video for "Breezeblocks." Have a great summer, and don't let August get you down just because it's next to September!