Stop Saying 2018 Was 'The Worst Year' And 'You Can't Wait For It To Be Over'
New Year

Chances are someone had a worse year than you so stop complaining.

863
Instagram: @spencer.abigail

I am so sick and tired of seeing post after post on every social media platform I am scrolling through about how 2018 was the worst year of your life and you can't wait for it to be over. I see it from the same people year after year. At this rate, you may as well stop trying to have a good year because what's the point?

I'll tell you what, 2016 was actually the worst year of my life so far. And guess what? It still wasn't bad enough for me to say it was the worst year and I'm ready for it to be over. My Aunt of only 40 years old passed away incredibly sudden all while I was moving away from home for the first time and just 11 days before that my brother was at a concert a block away from Pulse Night Club the night of the shooting, I gained 20 pounds that year, was incredibly alone and upset in Orlando with zero friends to help me through my hardships, I lost my best friend, I was in a mentally terrible relationship briefly, my childhood dog died shortly into 2017, no one showed up to my birthday party, literally no one, and I probably had a lot more happen to me that my brain is blocking out. But because of everything that happened to me and my family that year, I'm a stronger more prepared to take on the new year.

Every event in that year taught me a lesson and equipped me with something that I grew from. Yeah, it was a rough year, but I'm glad it happened. I learned that every day I get to spend with my family is a gift. I never take moments like that for granted ever again. I always say goodbye to my family like it is the last time I'm going to see them because it might have been. It might be morbid to think that way but it's what that year taught me.

The friends that stuck by my side through it all, I'll always thank them tremendously. And to the ones who left, I also continue to thank them because it made space for some new amazing people in my life who will.

So anytime you continue to think how terrible your year has been, chances are someone had a year a lot worse than you. Reflect on all the good moments and memories of 2018 and find something to celebrate instead of complaining. Look back at how much you have learned and grown. And trust me, there's at least one good thing to celebrate, you're alive and reading this, aren't you?