What To Do During The Summer

2 College Students reflect On Their Summer Experiences

It's that time of the year again.

46

Summers in high school and summers in college are not similar at all. I remember back in high school how much I used to dread the start of classes because I felt summers were not long enough. Surprisingly, during the summer after my freshman year, I couldn't wait to go back to school. In my opinion, it was just way too long. At the end of my sophomore year got closer, I started to freak out about my summer plans. I felt like I had to do something in order to keep myself busy. However, when I finally came home I realized how much I enjoyed relaxing at home since I don't get to do that during the semester because there is always something to do.

I started to wonder what other students thought about their summers, so I decided to speak to two college students. They reflected on their summer experiences and this is what they said.

Person A

"I went back home and chilled for a couple of weeks before I started my internship. I tried to spend as much time as possible with my family because I don't get to do that during the school year. I eat breakfast with my parents every morning and then I go to work, where I complete different tasks depending on what I am assigned. I've learned a lot from this job and the people I've met are really nice because they are always there to help me, even if I'm not in their department. I'm really happy to be home because I truly appreciate being with my family during the summer, and I also realized how much I enjoy meeting my friends from high school. My goal this summer is to learn how to surf, which is something that I've always wanted to do."

Person B

"I've really enjoyed the summer so far. I have spent a lot of time by myself or with my parents because I just moved to this new city where I don't know a lot of people. I've been practicing yoga and just reflecting about life in general, which has made me realize how important it is to have some 'me time.' Sometimes with school and just the fast pace of my daily life, I forget to stop and just take the time to reflect or relax. This has really helped me to get to know myself. I started an internship a few weeks ago and I really like it. Since I start at 8 am and get out at 5 pm, I have learned to appreciate my free time. I have also learned that I am not a routine person. The good thing about my job is that I do something different every day. I realized how crucial it is to find a job where I am doing something that I am truly passionate about."