17 Things I Learned, Both Big And Small, In 2017

Before we dive into 2018, let me take a moment to reflect on the past twelve months of my life and what I've learned.

62
Max Pixel

You are standing in the middle of the party with a drink in your hand. The music that was blasting only minutes ago has now been silenced. Instead, the sound of the crowd counting down fills your ears. You join your friends to celebrate the new year.

3... 2... 1...

It is finally 2018. Whether you shared a hug with a family member, a smile with a friend or a kiss with a stranger for that defining moment, you take a single second to look back in retrospect at all the things you have learned in the last twelve months. For me, here it is - seventeen things I've learned in 2017.

1. College is great.

Before my first semester at college, I was incredibly nervous and wasn't sure exactly how I would react to this new, exciting environment. Thankfully, I've had some of the best times so far and can't wait to see what the rest of my years there hold.

2. I'm capable.

Whatever it is, I really can do it. I have the ability, motivation and the ambition to succeed.

3. I'm pretty darn cute.

And I'm happy as who I am, what I look like and how I feel about myself.

4. My love for writing is infinite.

Being able to write for The Odyssey has proven my love, commitment and excitement about my craft. I'm reassured in the fact that I've chosen the right career path for me.

5. I value my relationships with family and friends the most.

Spending quality time with the ones I love and appreciate brings me endless smiles and memories.

6. Change is good

It might be unpredictable, but I truly do feel like it has the right intentions. Challenge yourself to change and you'll grow from it.

7. I love my hair

It's big, wild, curly and all over the place. I embrace the frizz.

8. Star Wars is lit

I'll admit, this was the first time I ever watched an entire movie from start to finish and I am so glad I did. The Last Jedi was worth the watch and I can't wait to watch the rest of the series.

9. Eye masks help my sleep tremendously

Copped one from Amazon and now I sleep like a baby at night.

10. Longboarding

So many people longboard on campus and it's always something I've wanted to learn how to do. I finally got my hands on a board and even though I'm not that quite good just yet, I'm working my way there.

11. Water is key

I know you get tired of Hydroflasks, but seriously, buy one. You know what I'm gonna say, don't you? It keeps your water cold for such a long time and dropping a few tens on a 32 oz. means you kind of have to stay hydrated so your splurge isn't in vain.

12. Crocs are hideous but comfortable

I know Birkenstocks have worked their way back into the trendy scene, but can we get some clog appreciation? These rubber shoes are really ugly but I can't hold that against them.

13. I love trying new things

It's exhilarating and interesting. Unless it's potentially life-threatening or risking your safety, why not?

14. You'll lose some people

After high school, you're going to have some disconnection with those you held close. This doesn't happen with everyone, but understand that you'll have to cut some strings because that's just the way life goes.

15. Procrastination can be overcome

The best way for me to apply myself is escaping my dorm, finding a comfy study spot and tapping my keyboard away.

16. Shaving ice

I began working at a shaved ice spot sometime around May and I can literally shave a block of ice into the soft, plush snow. To me, that's pretty neat.

17. Go for it

Whatever it is that you want in life, don't let anyone — not even yourself — hold you back.